Help with Lane Cedar Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ChaseVos, Mar 18, 2024.

1. ChaseVos

ChaseVos New Member

Hello, we are trying to determine the value of a Lane Chest but the serial number does not make any sense to me.

• Style NO. 5301
    • Serial NO. 2485 104
    Could someone help please?!

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Photos, please?
    This is not a site for valuations but some members do share what they might price an item at in their area of the world.
    Where are you located? This is an international forum. I presume you are in the US due to Lane being an American company. But things have different values depending on where in the US you are, too, and whether you're in an urban or rural location. Pricing is also limited when one has to sell locally... and it would be difficult to ship an item like a large wood chest.
    All that said, chests (even those made by Lane) are not big sellers in my large suburban Midwest USA area. One in excellent condition might fetch $100-$200, if a desirable style... and if a buyer could even be found. Currently, on my local FB Marketplace, I see lots of Lane chests, priced from $50-$500, and most have been listed for many months. (IMHO, those asking closer to $500 are dreaming!)
    I have found that Lane stuff sometimes does have a serial number that doesn't seem to follow their usual way of numbering. However, those first two number are usually the year written backwards therefore your chest is possibly from 1942. But photos could confirm/negate that.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
    komokwa and Marote like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Google is our friend :)

DateLaneFurniture.jpg

mirana, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Found additional info since you number has 7 digets, I get 4/10/58 plant 42?????
    LaneCedarChestDating.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted