Help with Japanese Marks Pleas

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jun 28, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

First let me tell you, I tried. I just looked thru every Japanese maker listed on Gotheberg under Japanese. These were close but wasn't sure of any of them. Here is the closest I could come. The jar or vase with brown & blue: Nezumi-Shino or Yoshida Matsuo mark along with Koda Mark or Sugiura Yoshiki? Or none of the above. I just copied so I do not even know what I am pasting really.
    The square bowl with the handprinted bamboo in center:
    Edo period Imari plate with Uzufuku mark (attributed to Kakiemon).
    The round bowl with the purple crane: Snake's Eye Foot.
    From the mid 1700's through the Meiji period plates, bowls and especially "soba choko" were made with the snake's eye foot known as "Jya no me Kodai" (蛇の目高台). Although this style of foot declined after the early 20th century, it was still used through the war to some extent. There are even some still made especially modern soba choko.
    Does any of this ring true? I'll list 2 more in a moment in a separate listing. I've finished with my Japanese pieces, that I have opened the boxes so far. Rest if any will be in distant future. Thank you for enduring all of this! IMG_0049.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0052.JPG IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0054.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0059.JPG IMG_0058.JPG

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. alynnfin

Any help out there?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Gotheborg has never claimed to listing every mark or every maker. There are other sites to look at that might help. Unfortunately I don't have their names or links. Other members will be along to help. Be patient.

4. alynnfin

I knew that Gotheborg's list was not exhaustive, although my backside was when I finally finished. I suppose I could have missed one of them, but I think I was pretty careful. Thanks Bakersgma!

MT Vessel and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. alynnfin

Any other expert know anything about the above Japanese pieces? Mine are just basically guesses from looking at Gotheberg's.

6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

The third bowl is japanese late edo early mieji i think. The second item i think has an Arita mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted