Help With Inlaid Brass Pen Tray ID

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lew Fisher, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

Hi folks-
    Greetings from misty, gloomy southwestern Pennsylvania. Please help me with any information regarding this inlaid brass pen tray. There are no identifying marks. Well I think it's a pen tray. Length is 8-3/4" from handle to handle. The brass is inlaid with wood which is inlaid with brass decoration, a spray of flowers with a bow. The feet screw off and on. Forgive the muddy pictures. We haven't touched it and I'm not sure how to go about it, but the lack of contrast between the unpolished brass and wood makes it hard to see what's going on. Any thoughts are appreciated. DSCN6439.JPG DSCN6436.JPG DSCN6437.JPG DSCN6438.JPG DSCN6440.JPG DSCN6441.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Lew Fisher

Thanks. Yes I saw that one. You're right, there are similarities.

4. MrsNezbitt

MrsNezbitt Member

Reminded me of Erhard & Sohne

5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful tray Lew.Will really sparkle once the wood's conserved a bit-it looks like it's lost some of it's lacquer.

6. Lew Fisher

Thanks for all your observations. The more I investigate Erhard & Sohne the more it seems like an intriguing (person of interest-type) attribution. They certainly made some exquisite stuff. Does anyone know how I might improve the appearance of this tray? I don't want to risk damaging it. (First do no harm. Will I remember that this time?!) Any thoughts are very welcome.

7. bosko69

Here's a piece attributed to Sohne,the wood seems in good shape (mahogany or rosewood perhaps). You might ask @verybrad about tips on restoring it.

PS-Much of Sohne's work seems more geometric in the Jugenstil style.Your piece is more of a flowing floral Nouveau motif-perhaps an early work.

Sohme1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Lew Fisher

Isn't that exquisite. You're right...I'm not seeing anything with curves save for when incorporated into a fiercely geometric jugendstil structure. Regardless, it's interesting to think that, at least, whoever made this pen tray must certainly have been aware of the work of Erhard & Sohne. Why this is satisfying I couldn't say.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If this is lacquered originally, you will need to strip away any existing finish before this could be polished. Lacquer thinner should work but would advise against soaking this, as it could affect the adhesive holding the wood.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Lew Fisher

Thank you verybrad. I will try this and get back with the results.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Lew Fisher

Project complete. What do you think? Again, thanks to verybrad for the guidance. Do we still think it might possibly be Erhard & Sohne? DSCN6502.JPG DSCN6503.JPG DSCN6504.JPG DSCN6505.JPG

12. bosko69

It's beautiful Lew,You brought it back to life-congrats !

13. Lew Fisher

Thanks. I knew you folks would enjoy seeing it.

14. bosko69

Lost link.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

now it's pretty pretty !!!
    good job Lew !!;)

16. Lew Fisher

Thanks. Now to run it up the flagpole and see if someone salutes.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very nice!