Featured Help with iDentifying Art Glass signature(Paperweight)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Abraham Gonzalez, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Abraham Gonzalez

Abraham Gonzalez Active Member

A5DE9614-0565-467F-8549-399B7B81E9C6.jpeg C3F700CA-6505-4C43-A8EE-E4A3FC971046.jpeg 214E8E89-BECF-4BD3-912E-E68783F39D58.jpeg hello,
    I acquired this and many other paperweights. However, I cannot figure out this signature. It’s a beautiful faceted paperweight. I appreciate your help!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    i need help, aaroncab, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That's a lovely paperweight. You could try looking on sites where paperweights from various glass artists are for sale. Also doing Google image searches for ones that look similar could help.

3. Abraham Gonzalez

Thank you very much. I’ve looked but no luck, will continue to look though.

judy and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I tried, too, but didn't find anything. The name to me something like "Din Nagt," assuming the dot over the first name is part of the name.

UncleChuckTX and i need help like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

What is the writing after the date?
    Patd

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's how it hits me at first too. Think the 'g' is a 'z' & then I see Mzt, no vowels. In the first name, think the dot overhead is part of it; the 'i' could be the last letter. Thought I was on to something when I found there was an Eli Mazet who, along with his brothers, does art glass, but, apart from a few consonants, nothing in common.

upload_2018-10-5_23-12-46.png

judy, UncleChuckTX and i need help like this.
  7. Bronwen

Eli Mazet's work:

[​IMG]

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bronwen, UncleChuckTX and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

Think there are at least 3 of them, DBA Mazet Studios. First name on this paperweight could be Tim, if you squint, & possible he reduces his last name to Mzt, but year is very early.

Pat P likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  11. Abraham Gonzalez

judy, i need help and komokwa like this.
  12. i need help

Just double check, I think that’s it, but they’re all different. :confused:

Abraham Gonzalez and judy like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a Brian Maytum paperweight from 1997 and the signature on mine, "Maytum Studio," looks very different. Maybe he changed it, though?

Brian Maytum.JPG

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

15. i need help

Thanks for posting yours Pat, these got me confused, they are all so different. I’m still not sure.

Pat P, Abraham Gonzalez and judy like this.
  16. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Good job with ID !! I find paperweight signatures the worst of all to decipher!!

17. Bronwen

To use an expression hated by jazz critic ex-boyfriend, close enough for jazz:

upload_2018-10-6_11-47-10.png

Looks like he changed over from signing as an individual to labeling as a studio.

18. i need help

I thought that was a possibility, Thanks, Bronwen. :)

Pat P, Abraham Gonzalez and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted