Help with identification?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by grets, Aug 18, 2022.

1. grets

grets New Member

i got this pewter plate for 10$ in the South shore region of MA. I've been trying to identify the touch marks and origin myself but I've thrown in the towel and I'm looking for help. 11.jpg

it says 'GRACIOUS' with a rose and crown that's all I could get
    from that.

12.jpg

this one has given me the most trouble with all I'm seeing is
    'Rd KIN_' or I could be totally wrong on that one

13.jpg
    on the rim of the upside of the plate is marked pretty clearly 'C L E' 14.jpg
    on the opposite end is marked 'H'

if you guys could help in any way like where the plate was made or possibly a guess when it was made it would be a great help, Thanks in Advance!

judy likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome, @grets.

I don't know anything about pewter, but I know that those who do here will want to see photos of the entire piece. Overall style can be the first good clue to origin.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Rd mark may be (and I think quite possible) the beginning of the mark for a British "Design Registration" number. In addition I'm not seeing "Gracious" but rather a name that begins with GRAM. I do not have a research resource for British pewterer marks so I think you'll need to wait for someone who does.

The other thing to be aware of is that the style of design reg mark seems to be shown here did not start until 1884.

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I see columns with crown rose between. I have Cotterell's book of British pewter marks and Stara's Pewter Marks of the World.

Neither show any names starting GRA or CRA that look like yours if it's crown, rose, column, however there are surely more marks than they show.

I gave an example from Cotterell's of a LONDON mark that appears along with other marks on many makers. The other examples are from various countries and from Stara's.

upload_2022-8-19_14-16-16.png

upload_2022-8-19_14-18-7.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.