Featured Help with ID silver pin

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Afat, Aug 9, 2024.

1. Afat

Afat Member

IMG_3945 Medium.jpeg IMG_3949 Medium.jpeg IMG_5908 Medium.jpeg Hi,

I have this beautiful little pin made from Dutch silver with different hallmarks and stamps and I would really appreciate some help identifying what it is and maybe date/maker?
    It's small pin with a little chain on either side and a lock suspended from one end. It's not a typical pin as it has a curly end so not sure what it is and how it can be worn?
    It has a Dutch silver mark "ZII" and 835 for silver, as well as a small engraved mark with a little image of the sun and waves ( hard to identify as very small), it also has a a round punch with letters FS (included a drawing as too small to capture).

I think it might be early 20th c but not sure?
    Thank you!
    Afa

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2024
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The ZII mark was introduced in 1953, it means an .835 silver item is imported or, very rarely, a re-assayed antique.

The 835 stamp is not Dutch, so that means it was imported some time after 1953. The Netherlands imported a lot of newly made German jewellery, and it is very likely that it was new when punched with the ZII mark.

Imo it is by a German maker, probably Franz Scheuerle, a good name. Scheuerle began to use 925 fineness ca 1980, so my guess is that your pin was made before 1980.
    So your timeframe is 1953-1980.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2024
    Figtree3, Marote, i need help and 6 others like this.
  3. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Is that a pin for a man? It reminds me of a tie bar pin my Grandfather had?

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it is a tie pin. The lock dangle probably means the wearer is 'taken'.

5. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I thought so. Thanks.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted