Help With ID On Austrian Majolica

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by buyingtime777, Sep 24, 2017.

1. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Found a pretty today at the flea market for a few dollars! :) Batteries are dead in my camera so I am using a picture I found on the internet. It does not do the piece justice. Colors are much prettier in person. I have been in a long funk but this one got my heart rate up and let me know I am still alive.

Does anyone know a possible maker? I will add a link to one on Ruby Lane too with pics of the bottom. I could only find two on the net and neither one identify a maker. Bottom says Austria 10639.

https://www.rubylane.com/item/426534-4501Robinx2fAQ/ART-NOUVEAU-Majolica-2-Handled-Footed

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. buyingtime777

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That's very lovely! It would have gotten my heart thumping too. I have never had much luck identifying majolica without a manufacturer's mark. It can be done with some English majolica based on the pattern, but the continental stuff can be difficult if not impossible. Still it's such a bargain!
    Don

buyingtime777 and judy like this.
  4. buyingtime777

I had time to examine the marks a little closer and realized one says ZS with the rest smeared and suspect it was meant to say ZS&Co for Zeh Scherzer & Co.

5. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

If your or comparable items state 'Austria' then the company of Zeh, Scherzer & Co. was not the producer as they were located in Rehau (Bavaria, Germany).

KentWhirled and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted