Help with Green depression glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff Drum, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I got a couple boxes of green depression glass (wrapped in newspaper from 1988). A few pieces I was able to recognize (Parrot and Cherry blossom from the 1930's) but most were of a pattern I can't find. There is a lot of these, six or eight of each that are undamaged (I assume the ones with chips should be trashed). Some of the pieces were authentic early pieces, but I didn't know whether this unknown pattern may a reproduction from the 1980's? Or a pattern I couldn't find with my limited knowledge. All patterns fluoresce with UV light, so all uranium glass I assume?
    I'm trying to decide whether to donate to a thrift. Thanks for any help!
    PC271987.JPG PC271988.JPG PC271989.JPG PC271990.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Also in the box were a couple a few glasses and pairs of candlestick holders which seem to be of other patterns? Any knowledge about these?
    PC271991.JPG PC271992.JPG PC271994.JPG PC271995.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Plates in your first photo are 'Princess' by Hocking Glass, 1931-35 from Carl F Luckey Depression Era Glassware. It does say 'suspected' reproductions from Mexico, not substantiated.
    looks like the blue ones have been reproduced
    https://www.realorrepro.com/article/New-Princess-plates

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

double candlestick is Fostoria 'American'

5. Jeff Drum

Awesome, thank you both. I would guess these are not repro since they were mixed in with other patterns. But how to tell - would the repros also fluoresce like the old ones? If so how to tell?

Just checked the realorrepro page you included, and that indicates these are authentic since they have the pebble texture beads, no mold seam, and rounded scallops. Thanks for the link! I counted and I have 8 large plates, 9 small, and 11 cups. I wonder if these would sell as a set at an antique mall? I'm guessing these would have been worth more when packed up in 1988 :(

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    i need help and cxgirl like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I see lots of depression glass in the thrifts now,I dont even bother to look closely. Except for the rarest stuff,you about cant give the stuff away anymore. Sad,I remember when it brought good money indeed.

Mugzinnys, sabre123 and i need help like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/New-Prince
    looks like that pattern sells on Ebay so hopefully they would sell in an antique mall where the buyer wouldn't have to pay shipping:) you don't mention the size of plates, but according to the book the 5 1/2" plates doubled as saucers for the cups.

blooey and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted