Featured Help with Doulton Burslem plate artists mark please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Aug 16, 2024.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have had this plate for 20+ years. I got it as part of a box of stuff at a local auction house when I started getting into this craziness. It was near the bottom of the box & had multiple things piled on top. To this day I don't know how there were not any chips or breaks to the edges. :jawdrop::rolleyes:

I decided to keep it because it was just pretty & every time I looked at it I would marvel at the fact that it was 100+ years old. It is one of the handful of true antique non-perfume pieces I own. :smuggrin:

According to my online search, the stamped mark was used from 1886 to 1902 & the impressed mark was used from 1882 to 1902. The handwritten marks are what is stumping me. I found a couple of sites that list the artists but I am not sure I am reading the initials correctly. I am fairly certain the pattern number is C838.

It is 8 7/8" across.

upload_2024-8-16_22-38-53.jpeg
    upload_2024-8-16_22-39-20.jpeg
    upload_2024-8-16_22-39-54.jpeg
    upload_2024-8-16_22-40-20.jpeg
    upload_2024-8-16_22-40-43.jpeg

Thank you for any & all opinions or suggestions!! :happy::happy::kiss:

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

1880s sounds good to me. Post 1891 should have "England" on it, but who knows if that was the case for local market goods. I can't really make out the initials, but maybe OBB will know. HSJ? WJJ?

3. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

I think the initials are HBJ?

doulbursvs.jpg

kentworld, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thank you!! :happy::happy::kiss:

I think you are correct!! Thak you so much!! :happy::happy::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted