Help with dismantling 1950’s Reclining Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MrD, Jul 21, 2022.

1. MrD

MrD Member

Hi All, need advise on dismantling a 1950’s reclining armchair, see photos where the back pivots on the frame, the little screws didn’t seem to do anything and the bolt like bit is just rounded so doesn’t look like it unscrews, do you think the frame was constructed on to the back or is there something else I could try?

Thanks.paul A33FF0AF-54AA-4AD7-8FC9-A5FA35975814.jpeg A1B99390-0F4C-48D4-B6BB-05840EF3D5C2.jpeg DB56FA2C-7FAB-4DA6-B195-6DC4934CBFC1.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

That bolt looks like a rivet. I'm not sure you'll be able to get the back off without damaging it unfortunately.

If those bolts screw into the frame, you might be able to notch them and unscrew with a large flat head. Alternatively, you could file off a couple of the edges and turn with a wrench.

Worst comes to worst, I suppose you could cut off the bolts close to the back's framing. Then you could try to turn out the nubs with a wrench. They may be pressed into the wood. No idea.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What is your purpose for dismantling?

4. MrD

MrD Member

Hi Bakersgma, I want to strip & refinish the woodwork and get the seat & back upholstered.
    Thanks. Paul

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Ok, you need to decide whether that “bolt head” is actually made of wood, because I bet it is. Wood plugs like this were widely used in the mid 20th century, used to cover up heads of bolts. If you pull out the wood plug - use a knife if you want to salvage it, though if the glue won’t give it doesn’t matter if you destroy it, it is decorative only. Once exposed find the correct screwdriver or wrench to unscrew it.

Draft saved Draft deleted