Help with cleaning a piece of furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I bought a nice vintage hutch to put in my store. It is painted with the doors and the top of the cabinet stained wood. I realized when I started to clean it that the paint, which is green, is supposed to be a nice robin's egg blue. It has a glommed on layer of nicotine and grease, mostly nicotine. So far, Windex, and cleaner with bleach have done nothing. I do not have hot water at the store(owner's too cheap), or I'd just use warm water and detergent. Any ideas on how to get the paint clean? Sorry no pictures.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Try wiping it with rubbing alcohol. It is the alcohol in the Windex which is removing the nicotine. The best thing is to wipe it down with is mineral spirits. It will not remove the paint and will remove grime but the fumes might be a problem
    greg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

R

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. tyeldom3

I deleted my prior message about greased lightning....their website says not to use on wood or painted surfaces. Although I used it on those surfaces. Just never mind my last message :) if you saw it before.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"I do not have hot water at the store or I'd just use warm water and detergent."

You'll have warm water at the store if you bring a large (but easily carried) thermos/insulated "jug" with a handle filled with steaming hot water from home with you to the store and then dilute it a small amount at a time with the cold water supplied by the owner as you "work" on the project.

Hmmm, don't restrooms in "businesses/workplaces" which serve the general public have to have both hot and cold running water for sanitation purposes (i.e., washing of hands)?

6. Bookahtoo

I'll try alcohol - no greased lightening tyledom. :D

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. Bookahtoo

Okay.........alcohol took the paint off. Oops!

8. tyeldom3

:hilarious: Hee hee

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Book,
    Sorry the alcohol took off your paint. You must have really went at it. I have always used the alcohol and the only thing I ruined was gilding. I really should have said "try it in an inconspictous place" like all the other disclaimers. Really, never had a problem before. Now I'll go and climb into my cave and behave myself.
    greg

11. milestoneks

milestoneks Active Member

Turpentine and clean rags.

12. Bookahtoo

I barely rubbed it Greg - I'm thinking the paint was added later - not professionally applied, on top of already finished wood.

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Continue to scrub and make it shabby .... It will sell better :rolleyes:

The mineral spirits or turpentine are good suggestions but if alcohol removed the paint (it shouldn't most paints), then there is the possibility that mineral spirits will as well.

No substitute for soap and water since there is always some grime that solvents won't touch. Use some grease cutting detergent (dish soap for one) and scrub. I usually start with soap and water, then move to mineral spirits if necessary.

14. Bookahtoo

Even cold water? I guess I could heat some up in the electric kettle.

15. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Brad -- new pic! Where are you? In a field of corn? Tall stuff!

16. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Sorry, Book, for the OT. Yes, I always heat up water in the kettle and add it to a pail of cold water to make warm. Should do OK for cleaning with dish soap.

17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Warm water is always better but cold will work if you have the right soap. I find a little ammonia goes a long way to cutting grime if all else fails. You do have to be careful not to get too strong with it since it will cut finishes if strong enough.

Pic is at the edge of the corn field a couple years ago but the corn is as tall or taller here now. We have had rains all Summer so the farmers should be happy this year if it keeps up awhile longer. I expect we will have record or near record yields the way things are going.

kentworld likes this.
  18. User 67

User 67 Active Member

Sudsy Ammonia (and H2o) is my go to for grimy smoke, works on glass very well and is okay on finishes if not applied too wet. Rinse with clear water (both the sponge during cleaning and then get fresh clean water and fresh sponge after all the grime is removed to get off any residue. If it's very greasy, like from kitchen grease, then you can add a little Ivory soap or dawn dishwashing liquid (platinum) to the Ammonia water. Very Very built up grease is a problem that may need harsher treatment after trying the ammonia water, like soft scrub.

19. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

An Eco-friendly de-greaser I use is Krud Kutter - but I would test it on an inconspicuous place first. :happy:

20. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I have an electric pot (carried by most hardware stores) that I use in similar circumstances. It generates a hard boil in almost no time! So fast, in fact, that when I plugged it in in the bathroom, It cracked the mirror over the sink in the time it took me to go ten feet to pick up the towels!

Draft saved Draft deleted