Help with Chinese porcelain *possible fake

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by EthanE, Jul 8, 2017.

1. EthanE

EthanE New Member

I purchased this vase not long ago and can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone can tell me what it is, or is trying to be. It shows signs of age, but I know these things can be and are faked. All I really know is that it is painted with the double happiness sign. It stands about 6" high. I tried to find similar vases with this pattern and shape, but have had no luck. Thank you for looking, and I would be glad to hear any comments or provide further details if needed. IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0024.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty but looks relatively recent - with no wear on the lower rim and shiny surface of the unglazed part. What were you lead to believe by the seller? "*possible fake" what?

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. EthanE

EthanE New Member

Thank you Bakersgma and say_it_slowly for the replys! First about the possible fake description I put on, I bought it from a thrift shop so no one lead me to believe anything, which is good. I just thought that it may be something that a potter made to intentionally deceive someone. I watched the Peter Combs video about fakes and fantasy pieces and thought I should get the opinions of those smarter than myself. I like this vase regardless of its age or value. It looks good in my cabinet. Granted, I would like it even more if it were very old and valuable. If it is a deceptive piece I would need to be sure that I never let it fall into the wrong hands.
    To say_it_slowly, thank you for the link! To my untrained eye it looks almost spot on. I am intrigued to learn more. This forum is great. Thank you both so much

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

If it had been created to device it most likely would have had a mark of some sort to aid in the deception. If it is a copy of something existing it is probably just a copy made for decorative purposes, not particularity to device.

EthanE and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Deceive" instead of "device," Mansons?

Glad to know that no one tried to sell you something under false pretenses, Ethan. It is very nice and since you like it, enjoy it in good health!

judy and EthanE like this.
  7. EthanE

EthanE New Member

Thank you mansons2005, yet another great reply. I thought it may have been made to look older than it is. Assuming it is modern. It shows a few rust spots and the foot looks old. I don't know how long it takes things to naturally look this way. I appreciate that incite. It makes sense that if a forger wanted to truly deceive, they would mark it accordingly. Thank you

judy likes this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

um...............its late and I'm old?

all right, no excuse......

actually, that is due to my very poor typing and my reliance on spellcheck...mixed with haste when it suggests a correction...........

Aquitaine, dgbjwc and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't have a dynastic mark, so it is not certain it was meant to deceive or suggest it was made in a certain style. These vases have been made for centuries, and not just for tourists or unsuspecting 'Ming buyers'.
    The poor quality and grey-greenish white of the glaze on this one make me think it could have been made for the Asian market, South or Southeast Asia. Possibly even a Qing copy made in Thailand.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    lloyd249, EthanE and judy like this.
  10. EthanE

EthanE New Member

Thank you Any Jewelry for your reply. When I followed the link that say_it_slowly kindly attached, I noticed that the blue on mine is much thinner, the outline in the design was not very pronounced, and did not look white enough. In your opinions, does it look like the foot look artificial in color? Sorry to keep asking questions, but I think I can learn a few things with this vase. I've already learned quite a bit, thanks. Another person had posted a reply on a previous forum I visited and he said it looked to him as though it were later poor quality Kitchen Qing in the sweet pea scroll motif. Is it the glaze color that suggest Thailand? Again, very new to this

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what this forum is for.:)
    Is it the glaze color that suggest Thailand?
    No, the colour and the quality in general suggest that it is lesser ware, that could have been made for the Asian market, South or Southeast Asia.
    It does not look very old, and Thailand has a thriving fakes industry, so nowadays you don't know if Chinese traditional pieces are made in China or in Thailand.
    Kitchen Qing is a term I don't know, but they probably mean provincial ware. I don't think this vase has ever seen the Qing dynasty.

12. EthanE

EthanE New Member

Thank you so much for all of your help everyone. I am grateful for the education. I will be using this one for comparisons to other pieces I may see in the future. Looks good in my cabinet for now (catagorized as a modern copy of unknown origin), I may just use it for flowers. No trouble if the kids knock it over:)

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not to steer you away from here but every so often I go to the gotheborg site and pay to join the discussion board for a year. I'm currently waiting on approval for my latest renewal request so can't get in at the moment. There's lots of info and discussions about many kinds of pots, mostly Chinese but Japanese and others as well if you decide to get deep into details and discussions.

judy likes this.
  14. EthanE

EthanE New Member

Thank you, I will look into that.

Draft saved Draft deleted