Help with Child's Porcelain Tea Set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Nov 5, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies - I could use a little help with this child's tea set. I think it's probably circa 1900. It features four different decals on the various pieces. The pot stands a little under 6" tall and each cup is about 2" tall. The marks confuse me. The teapot and sugar have an impressed mark with 1321 over 00. The other pieces carry red printed numbers mostly 12. The impressed marks remind me of Haviland but the red numbers remind me of German. I know a lot of these sets are undocumented and the mold isn't too distinctive, but I am posting in the hopes someone has come across them before. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Don

IMG_20171105_123535374.jpg IMG_20171105_123619661.jpg IMG_20171105_123708983.jpg IMG_20171105_123945265 (1).jpg IMG_20171105_123750625 (1).jpg

judy likes this.
  2. CookiesCollectibles

CookiesCollectibles Active Member

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My knee jerk reaction is that you should look to England. Can't make out all the scenes, but all different, many of getting ready to bake a batch of biscuits to have with the tea?

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are some on worthpoint that say they are marked Germany.

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Janet! Much appreciated.
    Don

6. Bronwen

Just hit me that it's not a teapot, it's for coffee or chocolate.

dgbjwc likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Must be for coffee, if chocolate the spout would be at the top rim.
    greg

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think the scene on the coffeepot (thanks for the correction!) is a market scene. The girl has a basket and she seems to bringing something to weigh on the scale. Then there are two girls baking, two girls cooing over a doll, and two girls having tea. Oops, coffee rather. Two girls having coffee.
    Don

9. Bronwen

Starting to agree about German origin. This was put on Pinterest from an eBay listing that is no longer active; described as German c. 1900. A very similar set was also pinned from a Ruby Lane listing that was 'just removed'. That set includes plates as well as saucers & photographs with an iridescent sheen on all 23 pieces, but same figures; described as German, 1910.

upload_2017-11-5_14-13-51.jpeg

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you Bronwen! This looks like the exact same mold. Much appreciated!
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted