Featured Help with Carved Stone Candlestick

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by o.parky, Nov 15, 2023.

1. o.parky

o.parky New Member

Hi all,

A family member recently passed away and I've ended up with an antique candlestick. I assume it's hand carved stone? I can't see any maker's marks and I know very little about this sort of thing, so I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it. I'd be interested in anyone's opinion - hoping to know the age and origin, what stone it's made of and whether it's anything special. It measures about 170mm tall x 120mm wide. Photos below.

IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3339.JPG

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If you don't want it, can I have it? I think it's delightful, if not exactly geared to modern taste. From what I see on the bottom, this looks cast to me, using some kind of marble simulant. Now we wait for others to chime in.

judy, kyratango, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I was gonna say alabaster...but now I'm not so sure. It may be cast, but I'm gonna vote otherwise...there will be at least one definitive yet that will help us all decide. Welcome here, o. parky!

judy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very nice, the bottom makes me wonder as well!

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The bottom texture and bubbles make me think cast in mold something.

There are resin/stone materials such as alabasrite.

I wonder...I've seen plaques and things that were salt that was cast in a mold (not salt glazed stoneware, actual salt). I think they looked similar to this texture and color. Anyone know?

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lot's wife?

7. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Here is one example. Looks quite different but who is to say they all look the same? Might be many variations on the salty mix.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/485...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no home run here , I'm afraid !

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found this example though not sure it's definitive in any way. Nor do I know anything about it or if it applies. (If it were me I'd be tempted to taste it but I'd not tell anyone else to do it.)

upload_2023-11-16_8-21-14.png upload_2023-11-16_8-21-36.png

From the seller:
    "Salt stone sculptures are crafted in many areas where salt is mined, and there has been a strong interest in these sculptures made in Europe, primarily Italy. Many copy classic figures, and are styled after the works made to sell to the Grand Tour trade."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/100870...08709488&click_sum=f44fc507&ref=hp_rf-1&sts=1

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted