Help with bronze? whimsical dog candle holder

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by MarkM, Mar 1, 2021.

1. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this unusual candle holder. It looks to me to be dog wearing a dress with a branch in her mouth that holds the candle. It is about 11" tall and is pretty heavy. Maybe some character out of a fairy tale or children's story? Dr. Seuss? There is some writing on the bottom that I can't decipher - some numbers on top and letters below - "Paw" or "Par"? Any information would be helpful. Thanks! 900-271 (1).jpg 900-271 (1).jpg 900-271 (6).jpg 900-271 (1).jpg 900-271 (6).jpg 900-271 (5).jpg 900-271 (4).jpg 900-271 (3).jpg 900-271 (2).jpg 900-271.jpg

cxgirl, lovewrens and judy like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Now that IS weird! What was the designer thinking? Most unusual!
    I think the lettering says "pair" so the lettering above was probably the price code for the pair, or less likely, dealer stock number

Firemandk and judy like this.
  3. MarkM

MarkM New Member

I had the same "pair" thought as well. Too bad the mate got separated if that is the case. Now you can see why I haven't found anything like her/it! Do you think this is bronze rather than brass? Any idea on age? Where made? So many questions! Thanks for taking the time to help! Mark

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It does look more like bronze, but you're a better judge having it in your hands ....
    The subject is probably the key to the age, so ... guessing maybe music-hall era, famous act perhaps? Got to be from around the turn of the century give or take a few years either way, right?
    Sensibility seems Germanic to me, maybe Austrian? Just guessing though.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

6. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Thanks for the input blooey and Cheryl - all good info. I did run across some of those monkey candle holders in my research but I'm pretty sure this a dog judging by the shape of the head, snout and ears??? You could be right but...

900-271 (7).jpg

900-271 (8).jpg
    900-271 (9).jpg

cxgirl, judy and patd8643 like this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

He's wearing a Tyrolean hat so that 's maybe a clue too?

judy likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ughhh, it is weird - long monkey arms, long monkey toes, long skinny tail with weird tuft at the end, long face with human-like eyes that could be a dog or a baboon, but kinda looks more like a sheep to me, and those do look like long ears, but maybe baboon 'sideburns'...

baboonportrait-2.JPG

baboonportrait.JPG

The second creepy monkey-band figure with the cymbals seems to have a long nose, and somewhat similar garb:

meissenstylemonkeyband.JPG
    https://www.cynthiafindlay.com/meissen-style-german-porcelain-monkey-band-figures.html

~Cheryl

judy likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

F3CB1393-9DC9-416B-A502-CC4442EF8E7D.jpeg I wonder was he always holding a candleholder? There’s a seam.

10. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Thanks for all the good information! That "seam" you see on the branch that has the candle holder on the end is actually a skillful repair I believe. The pieces come apart. The end of the upper branch part in the photo has a male threaded piece protruding that screws into female threads on the part of the lower branch section closest to her/its mouth.

Still not sure about the monkey angle but there are way more monkey candle holders than dog for sure! The big, floppy ears are the problem...Keep the comments coming! There has to be more than one of these things out there!

judy likes this.
  11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Goat? Sheep? I’m not seeing dog but that’s just me : -)

judy likes this.
  12. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Tanya - thanks for taking a look. This piece is just so strange - that is a tail serving as the third "leg" supporting the figurine so not sure about a goat or sheep as they both have short tails?? It's driving me crazy! Mark

judy likes this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I liked your initial thought of it being from a Dr. Suess illustration.

That would explain it having elements of different animals.

But the head, to me, is more goat or sheep.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It looks as if there is a symbol with a letter in it above the unknown letters on the base.
    Maybe there is a way to clean that or take a pencil rubbing?

15. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Thanks for the comments - we are traveling and I'll take a look for that symbol when we get home. Thanks again!

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm thinking it's a married piece because even the hat doesn't look right.

17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

My first thought, bases on the style, was the very prolific Petites Choses Company. In the 1980s, they made marvelous whimsical pieces in all types of metals. Unfortunately I could not find an exact match via Google... but, as I said.. prolific! The bases of similar forms were covered in green felt with a paper sticker, as yours may have been. Perhaps a long shot, but possibly another avenue of enquiry to follow.
    petit chose.jpg petite sticker.jpg petites-choses-brass-wreath.jpg

Firemandk and i need help like this.
  18. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

reminds me of a goat

19. MarkM

MarkM New Member

Thanks for all the comments - it may well be some other kind of animal besides a dog. I've got some new leads to follow. I took a close look at the markings on the underside and I'm not seeing anything helpful. I'll keep looking. I may just try to get it appraised. If so, I'll share he results. Stay healthy! Mark

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  20. MarkM

MarkM New Member

The Barneby's appraiser said this animal is a dog and that it was made in Austria in the Art Nouveau period (late 1800's - early 1900's). They said it resembles pieces made by Franz Bergman who I have since learned was a very popular artist known for whimsical bronzes in that period. Insurance value was listed as $275 even with the old repair. This has been a learning experience! Thank you again for everyone who gave their opinions and advice!

Darkwing Manor and Tanya like this.