Help with big head Mayan/Aztec(?) plaster bookends?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jan 6, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is the final thing I found at my local thrift store yesterday. I've googled large head/large face plaster aztec, mayan bookends but couldn't find anything like these. Has anyone seen these before?
    Are they Aztec? Mayan? S. American? What should I call them?
    They are some of the most unusual bookends I've seen!
    Thank you for any info!

COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS AZTEC MEXICAN MAYAN PLASTER 1A_AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS AZTEC MEXICAN MAYAN PLASTER 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS AZTEC MEXICAN MAYAN PLASTER 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS AZTEC MEXICAN MAYAN PLASTER 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS AZTEC MEXICAN MAYAN PLASTER 4AA.JPG

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

reader, i need help and komokwa like this.
  3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Really?! Why would you make bookends in the form of a funeral urn?
    And they must be somewhat mass produced right? I don't think these are hand made?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

all the open bubbles on the back show it to be a mold......

Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Decorative molded bookends. Vintage Mexican Ethnic Artsy Bookends. They’re of some age IMO meaning 60s/70s forward. If you’re selling online I would suggest caution at using the term Zapotec which implies preColumbian. Just went to Oaxaca before the shutdown and OMG on Tamayo’s museum which houses his preColumbian collection.

anundverkaufen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted