Featured Help with Autograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by JVenturini, Apr 13, 2023.

1. JVenturini

JVenturini New Member

Hello all,

I found this card in an old Bible at an estate sale in the Pittsburgh area. I initially kept it because of beautiful handwriting, but doing some research there has been a few Fitzhugh's throughout history.

Anyone have any idea who this could be?

Would the salutation be: Gentleman & Mrs. Fitzhugh or General & Mrs. Fitzhugh?

IMG_7698.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    stracci, silverbell and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Best Wishes
    Gen (General) and Mrs. Fitzhugh

The honorific "Gentleman" would be handled by Esq. (Esquire)

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What's the size? Anything on the back? And I can't find a General Fitzhugh. Can you provide more information.

Debora

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  4. JVenturini

JVenturini New Member

There is nothing on the back, and the size is 2 inches tall by 3 5/8ths wide.

I don't have any more information myself, I only did a quick google search.

There was a Confederate major general, Fitzhugh Lee, but I believe Fitzhugh was his first name.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume, Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  6. JVenturini

JVenturini New Member

found this on the Alington Cemetery website
    https://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/clfitzhugh.html

General Charles L. Fitzhugh married Emma Shoenberger the daughter of George K. Shoenberger – of Cincinnati – an heiress whose family were prominent in the Iron and Steel industry – They lived in Pittsburgh where eventually Fitzhugh became president of the Shoenberger Steel Company. About 1904 the Fitzhughs moved to Washington DC where they built a house on Sheridan Circle.

My guess would be that the card was written by Emma Fitzhugh, wife of General Charles L. Fitzhugh.

Definitely a nice find!

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lucky find.......;)

JVenturini and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

sort of like a calling card. I have one of my great granddads with just his name that he would have left when he called on someone. This one might have been a "gift tag" .

JVenturini, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's fun to find little paper ephemera and other types of items in old books!

And welcome to Antiquers, @JVenturini .

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quite a fancy hand. And not, strictly speaking, an autograph. More a signature.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted