Help With Antique Maps from around 1600?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brywil1970, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

From what I can find these maps could be from around the year 1600. Can anyone point me in the right direction with these? I will post pictures of one of them and then the other one.

TIA, Bryan

DSC_0202 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0203 (600x400).jpg DSC_0203 (600x400).jpg
    DSC_0204 (600x400).jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Brywil1970

more pictures from first map

DSC_0205 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0206 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0207 (600x400).jpg DSC_0207 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0208 (600x400).jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Brywil1970

Second Map

DSC_0209 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0210 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0211 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0212 (600x400).jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Brywil1970

more pics second map

DSC_0213 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0214 (600x400).jpg

DSC_0215 (600x400).jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

It looks in amazing condition if it is 400 years old.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Brywil1970

I can find these online and they all say from the first half of the 1600's but there are lots of variations and from what I can find some of them date to around 1570. Trying to verify the versions I have seen online look like they are in even better condition

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Paper that's pre-1850 or so sometimes looks much better than later paper because they hadn't started using wood pulp yet.

Have you checked under a loupe to try to figure out the printing process and the paper type?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Brywil1970

I have no idea what to look for. From the ones online they say copper wheel engraving what would I look for?

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Brywil1970

from a site I just looked up this is on Laid paper which the site says all paper was before 1750

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yes, at that time it would have been laid paper. To check if it's laid, hold it up against a light source, like a window. If it's laid paper, you'll see a grid effect, like this...

upload_2015-7-9_0-48-5.jpeg

If it's a recent reproduction, you'd usually see tiny dots under strong magnification. But even more recent reproduction prints don't always have dots.

I think they mean copper plate engraving... I believe copper wheel engraving is engraving done on glass. This page shows an example of what a copper plate engraving typically looks like...

http://www.antiqueprints.com/Info/engraving.php

Distinguishing between different print processes can be tricky and hard to do online. If it seems like your maps would be worth a lot if they're genuine, you might want to try to find an expert in your area who could look at them in person.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Also, it looks like the maps are matted? Older mats and less expensive newer mats usually have a high acid content and can cause the print's paper to discolor. So you might want to carefully remove the maps from the mats and store them in acid-free materials.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Brywil1970

It is laid paper that is easy. Have to look tomorrow to see if I can determine for sure if it is Copper Plate Engraved

KingofThings likes this.
  13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The pictures are really bad, well underexposed and I can't do a lot with cleaning them up.

map1.jpg

They are pages from a French atlas, this one showing the Italian region of Anconia. Preservation in an atlas keeps the condition good, then more recently disbound and framed in typical fashion with two pages joined in the middle.

If the pictures were decent it would not be hard to identify the atlas and the publishing date, but brown fog is just too murky to peer through.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  14. Brywil1970

I will try to take better picture tomorrow in the daylight

KingofThings likes this.
  15. afantiques

Good plan. They do look genuine but the age is moot, they could be from an 18th C atlas as early plates were reused often in later editions and the text being in French instead of Latin indicates a date ;
    later than 1600.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  16. afantiques

This is Venice before it became all built over. The fact that the map language is Italian suggests that the French publishers were using earlier Italian plates.

map3.jpg

Pat P, KingofThings and fidbald like this.
  17. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

18. afantiques

Fid , I suspect these Blaeu maps are from a later atlas as the text is French not Latin.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Second link looks to show one like one of yours, perhaps in slightly better condition, priced at 40 Euros. Machine translation from the German:

242 - Patria del Friuli - Friuli Venezia Giulia - Italy Description : The map , die''Maßnahmen 49.7 x 41 is removed printed in the workshop of Giovanni Blaeu in 1650. in the atlas Theatrum Orbis Terrarum SIVE Atlas Novus Tertia pars of Guilelmus et Ioannis Blaeu in Amsterdam . The card offers the Northeastern region of Italy between the Bellunese and Karst with the landscape of Gorizia , part of Treviso , Trieste and golf . Author : Ioannis Blaeu Location: Amsterdam PREZZO € 40.00 Year : 1650

KingofThings likes this.
  20. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

these links were only given due to the infos about the originals. may make further research easier.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted