Help with antique British pewter tankard mark

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James01, Aug 18, 2024.

1. James01

James01 New Member

I have an antique British pewter tankard. It has writing hand etched onto the front that I cannot read. It looks like a name (first name William) followed by the name of a hotel. I think in the past some regular drinkers at a place used to have their own tankard behind the bar, and this might be the origin of this tankard. There is also what looks like an indistinct mark on the handle. But there is a fairly clear mark on the back of the tankard. The mark is a shield shape and the initials "SK". Hopefully this can be seen in the last image below. This mark does not seem to be one Oldcopper.org. Any help in identifying this mark would be much appreciated.

View attachment upload_2024-8-18_17-7-39.jpeg

Next image:

View attachment upload_2024-8-18_17-10-18.jpeg

Next image:

View attachment upload_2024-8-18_17-10-50.jpeg

Next image:

View attachment upload_2024-8-18_17-11-8.jpeg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

A quick look through my British pewter marks book by Cotterrell didn't seem to show a mark like this but it's a bit of a hard book to use.

Based on the shape of the shield and what looks like it may be a lion, I found this for Sayda, DDR. No other info is given.

From Pewter Marks of the World by Stara.
    20240818_140346.jpg

I'm about to have house guests so if no one can find anything else, I'll try to look again but it may be a few days. (And hopefully I'll remember)

James01, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. James01

James01 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have now found out that this "SK" mark represents the verification mark (to confirm it was 1 pint) for the Stewartry of Kirkudbright; which was a county in South-West Scotland. So, this was not actually a maker's mark. Apologies for that, but this is quite new to me!

Any Jewelry, kentworld and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted