HELP WITH AGE & MAKER OF BEAUTIFIL OLD BRONZE(?) BOOKENDS OF ATLAS ROLLING WORLD?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Oct 2, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at a local thrift store last week & thought they were beautiful, but the $199 price + I couldn't find another example to see what they were worth, etc.. made me pass.

I saw them again today & they're color meant they were 1/2 price, but again I couldn't find them (lots of other atlas holding the world bookends though) & when I told the manager he agreed to sell them to me for $75.

Did I do good? Who made these? When & where are they from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also - any ideas on how to take the sharpie written price off the bottom? I usually use nail polish remover, but on felt or cotton, etc.. it's just going to leave a black smear!
    Thanks

COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS ATLAS HOLDING WORLD 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS ATLAS HOLDING WORLD 1AAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS ATLAS HOLDING WORLD 1BAA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS ATLAS HOLDING WORLD 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE BOOKENDS ATLAS HOLDING WORLD 3AA.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It looks more like Sisyphus to me.

Rec, kyratango, Van_Poperin and 6 others like this.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I agree Sisyphus pushing a boulder.

Atlas had the world on his shoulder.

Rec, kyratango, Van_Poperin and 4 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would just remove the felt and replace it. It has nothing to do with the value of the piece.
    greg

Rec and daveydempsey like this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you - now I'm got to google Sisyphus, but I'm hoping it's Atlas - I've never heard of Sisyphus but I've heard of Atlas - think more people will find it (but I'll add Sisyphus in description)

Thanks gregsglass; I'll check Michael's to see if they have any - any idea where else I can get felt?

Rec likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-10-2_18-56-33.jpeg ..........vs....... upload_2020-10-2_18-58-13.jpeg ....

Rec, kyratango and i need help like this.
  9. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

The set on Worthpoint sold for $293.88.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yes, but the Worthpoint is an original casting, and the OP and ebay listings are both later reproductions. That is clear from the quality of the casting plus other differences. Brass bookends were very often reproduced, with quality of casting going down and details being removed the more recent the casting. OP's is similar to the ebay listing, but the name was removed before casting, so OPs is an even more recent copy it would appear.

LovesVintage likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted