Help with Age & Calligraphy Signed Blue Underglass Asian Porcelain Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jun 26, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

IMG_0012.JPG View attachment 336108 View attachment 336117 View attachment 336117 I have had this for at least 8 years, bought it used. It looks new to me but the dainty blue underglaze calligraphy on the bottom makes me wonder if it could be older. Hope runs eternal. It measure 6 inches tall. Does anyone have a guess as to Chinese or Japanese and what it says and age? I love Oriental items but they are such a mystery and almost impossible to figure out without years of study. Obviously I am Oriental remedial! I appreciate any help. If it is helpful, it is translucent, I think is the word, you can almost see through it. You can see there is the blue calligraphy on the bottom thru it, not read it though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    DizzyDaff likes this.
  2. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

White Cloud (白云) Hall (堂) made by (制) Zhou Bing (zhou周兵) --- 白云堂周兵制 .

There are other similar pieces from White Cloud Hall, online, stated to date from 1848-1903, and being Japanese.

(The pic of the bottom, with the characters, is upside down by the way. I'm on my phone so can't flip it around.)

DizzyDaff, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. alynnfin

Thank you so much. Ok, I admit I am lame here, but what is White Cloud Hall and how do I get there online. I typed it in Google and didn't get any website. I also could not pull up Zhoug Bing. Do not know what I am doing wrong here. Sorry.

judy likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. alynnfin

judy likes this.
  6. alynnfin

Any idea as to value?

Draft saved Draft deleted