Featured Help with a small green-silver glazed jug.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Giuseppe65, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

I need your help to identify this small carafe. It is about 15 cm high and has a very thick manganese green and silver glazing.
    The silver color is similar to lead. The clay is a red color and under the base there is a 3 spur mark.
    I would like your help to understand its origin and use.
    Thanks again
    Giuseppe 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was wondering if it was raku but that's about all I've got.

Giuseppe65 likes this.
  4. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

Thanks. At the beginning I thought too of a Raku ceramic. But then because of the 3 spur mark I thought it could be Chinese.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Belgian pottery from the 20s often has that three spur.

Giuseppe65 likes this.
  6. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

Thanks. Your indication was very useful. I did some research and I think it could be a Belgian jug. I have seen that numerous Belgian manufacturers have used this style (Airan, Thulin etc ....). Then the glazing so powerful seems to be typical of these manufactures.

Houseful likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if it were Belgian. Certainly has the look and the right clay.

Giuseppe65 and Houseful like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted