Featured Help With A Satsuma Signature

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Sep 3, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This piece is coming up for sale tomorrow and I have been trying to read the signature all week without success. It appears that the characters have been stylised. It is not on Gotheborg and not in any of my books. I've been through my book of Kanji with no success. Any ideas?

IMG_6043.jpeg Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 15.11.38.png Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 15.12.00.png

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Choshuzan (zo), if you get it ping me a decent pic of the mark and I'll add it to my database, not got that one so far. Not a well known maker, prices seem to be average for it, not a specifically collected name afaik.

3. John Brassey

Thank you very much Will do.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Here's the version I have currently, less stylised but still quite off from the standard Kanji, if around today I bet they would be spamming all the print fonts available :)

choshuzan satsuma mark.jpg

Bronwen and John Brassey like this.
  5. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

It's

6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

7. John Brassey

Thank you. I didn’t win the auction but appreciate all the help,

Draft saved Draft deleted