Help with a Madame Alexander and a German clown, please TYIA

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 12, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_5347.jpg IMG_5349.jpg IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5351.jpg IMG_5337.jpg IMG_5340.jpg IMG_5339.jpg

The first doll had a note that said she is a Madame Alexander Little Genius which is what the tag on her checkered drawers says The tag on her robe says Alexanderkins There was also mention on the note that she is from 1959 I am no good with dolls She is rubber and her eyes work but they need a nudge to open are the clothes mix-matched? Do the bonnet and booties originally go with her or either pieces of the clothing? She had a little glass bead bracelet/necklace or??? that says Masty on it, is it hers originally? It is about the size of a half dollar in diameter. I don't know where it would go on her or if it even belongs to her. HELP!!

The second guy's wheel broken and marked made in Germany. I swear his head is composition and for some reason, I am thinking he is a circus souvenir or something like that I could be VERY wrong He is approx 7" long lol

Thank you for any and all help
    URfIhcRzQH+b7MTncJAtWA.jpg

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Gauntlettgems. There was a discussion recently from Kathblue regarding the same doll.

Hers was a later version of yours, I believe.

The original doll was created in 1948 and had a hard plastic head. No wig.

The doll was later produced with a caracul wig. Yours appears to have that type of wig.

The robe would more than likely be original to the doll.

The booties look like the ones that were on Kath's Little Genius.

I am more inclined to believe that your doll is made of soft vinyl.....not rubber.

The bracelet/necklace looks like a hospital ID for a newborn. Probably that of the original owner.

She probably had a bottle with her (as Kath's did). A drinking/wetting doll.

Other accessories might have come with her originally also.

If you list her, remove all the clothing for photos. Take a photo of the tag, and any and all markings.

Front and back photos.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The clown's head and hands might be papier mache.

The wheel looks like it is made to ride a wire?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Kath's discussion is titled Anyone good with dolls?

I tried to c/p but I seem to have a problem when on my laptop.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The bead bracelet, with the last name, went on the newborn, a matching one on the mother, so hospital wouldn't mix them up.

I had a doll from this Mme. Alexander line. Didn't have the christening gown & bonnet, did have the diaper & the booties. (In one of those weird coincidences, something in the last day or two brought back the long forgotten memory of how furious my mother was when I came back in from playing one fine summer day & told her I had lost one of the booties & how lucky I was to find it again.) There may have been a bottle. Seem to recall doll can also be posed to suck one of the thumbs?

Clown has lost the rest of the balancing bar, meant to roll back & forth on a slack cord/wire.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. gauntlettgems

I’ll have to check the doll over for marks. I read all of the other discussion but feel more confused about this doll now. Lol.

The bracelet looks too small to actually fit a human. Wow

8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Gauntlettgems.......What areas are you confused about?

Bracelet too tiny for a newborn?

Bronwen.......I seem to recall such a thumb sucking doll as well.....but that's all.

I bet Google could find one or two.

Christmasjoy and gauntlettgems like this.
  9. gauntlettgems

Maybe because the clothes are marked for two different dolls? Is it an Alexander? If it is is it the kin doll or the genius. I am so not familiar with dolls. I am lost

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It is a Madame Alexander.

The original was 11".

Probably because the Wendy dolls became so popular, is why they made Little Genius in that smaller size too.

The face too on a new look...... more like the Wendy (Alexander-kins) doll.

The robe your doll wears, could belong to one of the Wendy dolls. I don't think it matters a whole lot in your case. Dolls are about the same size.

Your doll is still Little Genius......at least according to my Madame Alexander book.

The book does not state whether the doll was marked or not.

Your head might be a hard plastic, with the body is soft vinyl.

I can't tell by the pictures.

11. gauntlettgems

I think you are right about the vinyl and plastic. I want to check the hair and key when I get home. I pretty sure it was not marked.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted