Featured Help with a heavy silver torque

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by NaptownFTW, Mar 5, 2024.

1. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

I just picked this up and am trying to accurately describe it. Please excuse the water spots. My grill was nearest well lit place on an overcast day.

It’s quite heavy, weighting at little over 6.3 ozt. Inner circumference is about 6-1/2”, including the gap
    It was with a collection of jewelry described as being from a world traveler. The other pieces in the buy were tufa and sand cast Native American pieces, Navajo and a PNW heavy silver ring, with a couple of what I think are central Asian silver and coral rings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_3894.jpeg IMG_3895.jpeg IMG_3897.jpeg IMG_3898.jpeg

stracci, Any Jewelry, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

komokwa, kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or you could wait until @Any Jewelry wakes up in The Netherlands.

Debora

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be thinking West or North African, but I'm as far from an ethnic expert as you can get. The style reminds me of a Nigerian wedding bangle that my mom brought home about 60 years ago, but those designs traveled.

komokwa likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. komokwa

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A nice heavy silver cuff bracelet from northern India. Probably from Himachal Pradesh or one of the neighbouring states. It seems to have some age.
    It is similar to the makara head bracelets shown above, only yours has lion heads instead of makara heads.

Makaras are mythical beasts which can be recognized by their short trunks. On the bracelets the trunks are stylized into turned up 'noses'. Yours doesn't have that, the animal heads are clearly feline. There are even whiskers on either side of the broad noses, a bit like modern design.
    Both lions and makaras are protective symbols. Makaras are also seen by temple entrances, for instance, for protection.
    Could we see them please?:happy:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She's awake!

Debora

10. Any Jewelry

A sign that she's alive!:woot::woot::joyful:
    Thanks for the tag, Debora.:)

11. komokwa

thank you for correcting my post..;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. NaptownFTW

NaptownFTW Active Member

Himchal Pradesh kara/kada/makara and late 19th-early 20th century was where my investigation led me as well.

I created another post here with some of the other pieces. I’ll have to get into my antique mall booth to get photos of other pieces. https://www.antiquers.com/threads/z...lets-silver-and-coral-rings-by-request.83646/

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

As far as I know kara or kada means bracelet, so not specifically this shape or style. And yours is not a makara, but a lion.:)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted