Help with a brass coffee pot

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Ce BCA, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm rummaging through my leftover boxes (waiting for things to open up in the UK) and came across this brass pot. It's probably been about 3 years since I bought it (came in a box lot with Eastern metal items if I recall correctly). I could never quite decide on where it comes from or the period.

It has a dolphin, lamprey or some sort of creature style handle, some Eastern features but not a typical dallah. It has a ceramic insulator at the bottom of the handle, top one is missing. No marks, 23 cm tall, about 1.3kg. Better made than your average Middle Eastern tourist pot and probably has some age although perhaps not 19thC. Tinned inside. It's not going to be valuable but bugs me when I can't pin something down. Any thoughts? Tia brass coffee pot (1 of 6).jpg brass coffee pot (2 of 6).jpg brass coffee pot (3 of 6).jpg brass coffee pot (4 of 6).jpg brass coffee pot (5 of 6).jpg brass coffee pot (6 of 6).jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Pretty little pot!!! Looks like the ‘thumb latch’ at the top on the lid is gone and has been smoothed, but I still like it and LOVE the handle!:happy:!!!
    BFAFC6CE-234B-45F5-A661-27B02D35F92C.jpeg

Ce BCA likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it looks that way at first.....but with such a large finial ...i'm not certain a thumb piece was ever present...

Ce BCA likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hmmmm....you may be right on that, Komo....I just thought it looked rather "blunt"!

komokwa and Ce BCA like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should had looked at it before to confirm. It is meant to be like that, it's a ledge and provides a hard stop against the other ledge at the bottom of the hinge preventing the lid from going up more than 90 deg.

Anyone have any ideas on the origin though?

komokwa and Aquitaine like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely .......but that's all I got !

Ce BCA likes this.