Featured Help with 1956 veiled lady print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 27, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my thrift Fri. I don't know why but at first look I thought it was a old WWI or II navy poster. Then I thought maybe a lady whose head bandage was falling off! (I know, stop laughing!)

It was in a old frame that had water damage at the bottom & the glass was dirty or tinted to the point I thought it could possibly be a painting, but taking it out of the frame showed it's a print.

I thought it looked better than a weekend artist & the fact that it's a print made me think there must be more out there, but a google image search turned up nothing?

Does anyone know who the artist was? Any thoughts on the print itself?

My friend who manages the thrift store sold it to me for only $5 because of the water damage so even if it's nothing I won't lose much.

Thanks guys!

ART PRINT VEILED LADY 1BAAC.jpg ART PRINT VEILED LADY 2BAA.jpg ART PRINT VEILED LADY 3CAA.jpg ART PRINT VEILED LADY 3AA.jpg ART PRINT VEILED LADY 5AA.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's interesting. It looks olde tyme-y but lips and nails correct for 1956. Very illustrative and done by a professional, I'd think.

Debora

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It may be by Anders Zorn. What you are reading as a 5 may be an 8, so 1886 for the date. Zorn (1860-1920) was a Swedish painter, best known for his oil paintings. But "his early works were often brilliant, luminous watercolors", until 1887 when he had switched to oils. The original of your print looks like it was a watercolor.
    https://wooarts.com/anders-zorn-gallery/

Looking at other examples of his work, he seems to have liked depicting gauzy, transparent fabrics.

Zorn painting.jpg
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...920-spansk-flicka-i-sevilla-2143-c-19i4gsmib5

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

She is lovely.

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. 2manybooks

I cannot tell from your photos if this is a print, as you suggest, or if it might be an original watercolor. The fact that other examples of it as a print don't show up might be a good sign.

6. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Even though there's a '56,Her face reminds me of a turn of the century Gibson Girl (Mable Normand).

wlwhittier likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, it is an 8. Part of it is a little faint, and the 8 is written the European Continental way, we start (and end) our 8 in the middle instead of the top.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see that he also painted in Algiers, and a fashionable Algerian town girl was my first thought when I saw this portrait. Truly lovely.

10. bosko69

Damn Journey-I think you're developing an eye for good art ! I knew there'd have to be some good stuff down where you live-not too far from Billionaire's Row bro-think of the Estates.

11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She is really attractive...water damage or no...a keeper!

12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Agreed! Can't tell if the texture is downsampling pixels, paper or halftone but it looks like a watercolor from here. It's extremely bright for the age. Have you taken a loupe to it?

Zorn is a very well known artist of great skill. This was done when he was 26.

kyratango, wlwhittier and 2manybooks like this.
  13. bosko69

If this is an original WC,might be worth spending some that 'tin chicken' money on a professional restoration,and it doesn't look like the stains impinged on the image.
    Could go for big loot on Sotheby's or Christies ? It's worth some research on value on the pay sites (there's a few free sites that give values but not as many-restoration cost added to sold price =profit).

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    kyratango, wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

October 25, 1982 an auction was held at Bukowskis in Stockholm and the original painting made a record 665000 kr (2,205,565kr/212,000 USD today). "In 1896 it had been bought by Josef Sachs at auction for 255 kroner." Lucky Josef! Painting is called "A Moorish Beauty" in the article but idk if that's it's official title.

So definitely a print, but one I haven't seen for sale anywhere, so might have decent value.

16. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Thank you all!
    Dang I started wondering if I'd found a million dollar painting - and thoughts of paying off mortgage, buying a big vintage greyhound bus to convert to a motor home & going picking up in NE/New York - or going to Europe where really antique antiques can be found!

17. wlwhittier

Hmm...in that case, y'might try Asia.

18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Omg spoken like a true addict. :hilarious: "What will you do now that you've won the lotto?" "Go buy more lotto tickets!" At least you know you're doing what you absolutely love. Living the dream.

kyratango and wlwhittier like this.
  19. 2manybooks

Any evidence of where the original that was sold at auction is now?

@journeymagazine - I would suggest finding someone knowledgeable iin your area who can look at it and determine if it is a print or watercolor.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  20. wlwhittier

Yes, absolutely! In the end, nothin' will be more important!

kyratango and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted