Help w/Thai thrift store finds - 2 mirrors, incense holder tube, spinning toy(?) w/scroll inside?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Feb 15, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

These were part of a box of Thailand looking items that came into my friend's thrift store today - I picked these out as the most interesting, but I don't know anything about them - especially the 2 that are not hand mirrors.
    Can someone tell me what I have - especially the correct names, so I can look up?
    Thank you in advance for any information; it is appreciated!
    PS - The piece with the spinning metal weight - I thought it was a Thai toy until the top came off & I saw it had a scroll inside!!

Easy ones first - the 2 hand mirrors; is first one from Thailand?

THAI MIRROR A GROUP 1AA.JPG THAI MIRROR A GROUP 2AA.JPG THAI MIRROR A GROUP 3AA.JPG THAI MIRROR A GROUP 4AAA.JPG THAI SCROLL TWIRLING 1AA.JPG THAI SCROLL TWIRLING 2AA.JPG THAI SCROLL TWIRLING 4AA.JPG THAI INCENSE HOLDER TUBE 1AA.JPG THAI INCENSE HOLDER TUBE 2AA.JPG THAI INCENSE HOLDER TUBE 4AA.JPG

judy and Born2it like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

The 'spinning toy' is a prayer wheel with a mantra or scripture inside. As you spin it, the prayer unwinds symbolically and is sorta 'said.'

So keep on spinnin'!

judy, kyratango, Boland and 2 others like this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thanks Potteryplease - I know the tube is a incense holder & now the prayer wheel, but do you know anything about the mirrors?
    Are they Thai? Is the 1st one cinnabar?
    Thanks again for naming the prayer wheel for me!

Potteryplease, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It isn't cinnabar, it's trying to be amber.

Potteryplease, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Hi, your mirrors are Chinese and from the 2nd half of the 20th c. They come in a variety of shapes and materials. It is difficult to see in the photos what material the left one is...

Potteryplease likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thanks. Guess I'm going to set out on a table & see what happens at garage sale this weekend - don't think they're worth $ enough to put on eBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted