Help W/ Letter About Fredrick Douglas Lecture

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Nov 13, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've had this lot of letters for a few months now.

And I started going through them and I found this letter.

At first I wasn't sure about the "Fred Douglas" mentioned as it could have been common name. But it talks about his lecture on the "Assassination & it's Lessons"

The date on the letter is Jan. 1866.

Turns out, Frederick Douglas gave a lecture at BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) about "Assassination & It's Lessons".

This lady describes his hair, and other such things which is interesting, as well as other events going on.

I'm having a bit of trouble translating it all, if anyone could help I'd be greatly appreciated. My eyes are no longer what they used to be and I am not the best at reading old script.

Warm Regards,
    Scantic IMG_1.JPG IMG_2.JPG IMG_3.JPG IMG_4.JPG IMG_5.JPG IMG_9.JPG IMG_10.JPG IMG_11.JPG IMG_12.JPG IMG_13.JPG

2. ScanticAntiques

IMG_14.JPG One more of that back piece.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  3. ScanticAntiques

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's like somebody from years ago wrote you a letter. Kinda gives me chills. Touching.

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The passage about Christmas gifts is interesting, The mention of Douglas seems to be pretty much in passing. Have you posted the full letter? There seems something missing. Maybe just a few lines from the top of the first photo?

I would say that whoever wrote the letter knew Douglas personally.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Here's what I'm seeing, incomplete, disarranged, and probably wrong in places:

…somewhat humorous but dear me I can’t speak at length about it. I’ve too much else to write. Monday eve of last week we had our Christmas tree which held for me a Lady’s Companion very pretty and those books to Dwight with a gold pen I bought for him. Think I wrote you about it. Charley gave him a very handsome globe lamp and his mother a handkerchief. He gave Charlie a silver watch chain. Cornelia had a beautiful vase and silver cake basket and books. Tuesday eve was the lecture and Wed(nesday) was the wedding, which was in church. Two bride’s maids and men Willie and Herbert Brooks and Sarah Kendall & Eliza Brooks. Willie and Sarah went to Boston with them. The bride’s maids were dressed in white with pink sashes, the bride a white sash. Julia rolled my hair and vice versa. All went off nicely. Aunt David gave me silk and cotton for coils and Annise and I made them Tues(day) night. Annise came Tues(day) to the surprise of all friends. Uncle Daniel went to the wedding and to the reception. What do you think of that?

Yesterday Less was married and went to NY and will return Friday or Sat(urday). Julia and Emma Adams were maids and Henry Nash and Leean Merse, men. Julia’s hair was trimmed with red and white chenille, I don’t know how to spell that word, also a ******** of the same. I did it and she looked pretty, decidedly, for what is 66 to be remarkable for and while I think of it what is Fred Douglas’s former history. My dress suits nicely. I don’t understand about the night dress and moreover I should think you’d been spry to finish that yoke. I’ve only just commenced on the second sleeve and work every moment I have. Have not been home yet Wish I was able to go home and stay. I know it’s nice to keep house on many acc’ts but on the whole think I’d rather board, and think we shall. Called on Cornelia yesterday who is happy as Mrs. Brooks.

Do not know but I **** *********, but don’t I answer your letters? Promptly answer me. Didn’t I wait a long week to hear from you? And never a word from the dear bairn. O! miserable me, in other ways I ****** that, as you’ll perceive when I relate all the trying scenes I’ve been called to endure since New Years. To begin with Julia and I thought we’d have a hand to hand encounter with our feet before we descended and the consequences were that I got worsted, injuring my **** to an uncomfortable extent, at least did not trouble me very much till Thursday. Grew worse for two days and Sat(urday) was obliged to remain indoors also Sun(day). Mon(day) I hobbled over to the Depot and today have been to shop. Have another sore under my arm making four.

Last night Fred Douglas lectured and Dwight poor boy had to hire a team and carry me up to the hall. Wasn’t it ludicrous. Julia went with us. We laughed at his mistake in the persons when he helped me from the carriage for he took out Julia very lightly and gave me that privilege primping. I wondered at it a little but when he came in after the lecture, he told his mistake and we filled the room with our voices.

The theme of the lecture was The Assassination and its lessons

A pillow could be more pleasing or even a pincushion.

Dwight has not read Reilly yet as I hold it in my possession and am much pleased with it. I must have the others before a great while

Father has written you, has he not. He told me he was going to. I should like the last year at Loth very much. ****** ****** to-night and I must close

Sideways writing:

Should like those books but think

Mary ********’s baby arrived at six the day Cornelia was married and Mrs Rond’s sister died at the same hour. Mrs R. and I went in to see the little baby girl yesterday and found a very pretty one. She is doing very well not quite equal to Gale Harwood

Frank Leonard was married last week. Georgie sent my needle book down last week. I think it very pretty.

Is not this connected

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. ScanticAntiques

I'm gonna look, to see if maybe there was another page. I have about 20 letters from 1866 from her on similar or the same paper. Though most have different dates. I'll have to check :) Maybe i am missing something! Thank you so much for the translating! I greatly appreciate it!

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Much better eyes than mine, moreother! But I did check the sections where something sounded "awkward." I think that the writer was asking about Douglass' former "history", not former sister.

Scantic - is the signature "Bunni"? Do you have her surname?

9. ScanticAntiques

Yeah, I agree. I believe it says history as well. :)

I believe the last name is Norcross. But I'm not 100% sure. It came with a ton of documents with ladies and men with the last name Norcross.

10. Bakersgma

I thought I might poke about on Ancestry for you, in case it might help. ;)

11. Bakersgma

One other thing - the person who got married "yesterday" went to NY (for New York), not NC.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

"History" works much better than "Sister" What is a 'former sister' after all.

Could well be NY also. (Initially I thought it was NS.)

I'm pretty sure the word "primping" is also incorrect:
    We laughed at his mistake in the persons when he helped me from the carriage for he took out Julia very lightly and gave me that privilege primping.
    Whoever was helping them from the carriage apparently mis-judged which person had the priority.

I think "Loth" is wrong as well:
    I should like the last year at Loth very much.
    Unless it's a book title.

13. ScanticAntiques

Maybe a School?

Draft saved Draft deleted