Help translating title/artist print Chinese/Japanese?

Discussion in 'Art' started by mmarco102, Apr 11, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I do not have this in hand at present but doing due diligence to see if I should purchase. Yes, very heavily foxed but I have a good restoration company if it should hold any history and or value. I find it a very interesting and different scenery than I usually see. About 16”W

Can someone translate please. I’m willing to do the work from there :)
    Thanks
    IMG_2460.jpeg IMG_2501.png IMG_2502.png IMG_2500.jpeg

Potteryplease likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There are a number of resources that turn up if you search for ukiyo-e signatures.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Have you seen this:

[​IMG]

From here->

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

6. mmarco102

OMG, WHAT THE HECK WAS I thinking :facepalm: I always reverse image just about every thing possible but I seemed to get fixated on the signature. Du-ta-doo. Thank you all for waking me up…… now I just have to see it in person to evaluate it. Thanks again all. I’ll post a in hand photo if I get.

Potteryplease, Bronwen and Marote like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I took the long convoluted way. I translated the text on the boats that came up with "Omiya," and then searched for "Japanese print women boat Omiya" :)

8. mmarco102

That’s the highway I took too. :hilarious: Just got a flat tire at the translation on ramp, so I called antiquers road service to get me going. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. mmarco102

I’m baaaaack…..:zombie:
    Well went to the sale today. First in line. Blocked the door and wouldn’t let anyone past me till she told me where it was.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thought it was heavily foxed and spotted but was surprised to find the spotting was atop the framing. Cleaned with a light soap. What I really like is every one I find Online is in the three separate sheets put together. This is the full bottom uncut woodblock(not modern print.) last two photo’s are where the divide should be. Didn’t clean close to edges as not to get any seepage under glass.

grateful for your previous information.

IMG_3470.jpeg IMG_3471.jpeg IMG_3472.jpeg IMG_3473.jpeg

10. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Nice! I especially like the boats' prows and the nails on the bridge.

Marote and mmarco102 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted