Help to identify the age of this Bible Box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Whippoorwill, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

I have a box which matches the shape of English Bible boxes. It looks to be American made and has a small accounts book in it dated 1896. It has had several repairs, one of which I know to be in the late 1970's/early 80's. The hinges were replaced and a few screws were added to the top.

The shelf of draws is removable and only held in with one nail which makes me wonder if it was added at a later time then the boxes creation.

I've tried to identify the type of nail used but so far haven't had success. I also can't tell what type of wood it is made from. And I haven't had success identifying the time period of the lock.

I'd appreciate any help in identifying how old it is. With several repairs/alterations it's rather tricky. I do know that the owner of the accounts book used this box.

Thanks and looking forward to some input!

PS Having trouble uploading pictures, will try to add more. 1.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 5.jpg

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      1,003.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      802.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      861.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

Here are a few more 13.jpg 7.jpg 12.jpg 10.jpg

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a writing desk box, 19th century and, it's had a hard life looks like.

5. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

I have the fourth drawer but the wood has swollen and it doesn't fit.

As to it having a rough life, I do know that it was used as an accounts box at a sawmill for many years.

Is there a way to find a closer age estimate (early, mid, late 1800s) by the nails or other method?

6. James Conrad

They look like "cut" nails, made between 1820s-1900s

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. James Conrad

Mid 19th century i would guess, 1840-1860 ish.

8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Needs tlc

I like the black painted drawers inside.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

Yeah, i don't doubt it, the lid looks very warped in photo. I'd guess this desk box got wet alot somewhere along the way which didn't do it any good at all.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

Thanks for the info! Do you think the drawers were original?

11. James Conrad

They appear to be original yes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. James Conrad

Poplar & yes, it's american. Where are you, where did you get the box?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

I think the box came from Pennsylvania but somehow made its way to Florida where it was used at the outdoor sawmill (just a tin roof, no sides). I obtained it a few decades after it's use in the sawmill.

14. James Conrad

OK, it's a nice desk box and most everything is there but the condition is poor probably due to it being outside in the weather.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. James Conrad

BTW, this "bible box" thingy is an old furniture myth, the term was developed sometime during the Victorian age. Your box for instance was clearly made for use as a desk box, the sloped lid as a writing surface and those small interior drawers to hold pens, ink, etc. and the well to hold paper.

BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with all the above. Think the wood could be pine rather than poplar but really hard to tell since it is so dried out.

17. Whippoorwill

Whippoorwill New Member

Thank you all for the help! I'm thinking to fix the large cracks in the bottom but have never restored an old piece like this. Does anyone have tips on what type of glue to use? I also would like to replace the new hinges with some period ones. I'd love any info as I am brand new to all of this!

18. James Conrad

Generally speaking, restoration done correctly can get pricey in a hurry, if box was mine i'd start off with iron forged hinges, straightening lid & getting interior drawer back in it's place (before it gets lost!).
    Short of going to a blacksmith & having them custom made (pricey!) I'd try & find hinges at some of the national hardware outlets that would fit, like Hortons.
    https://www.horton-brasses.com/handforgediron.asp

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted