Featured Help to Identify Makers and Date Two Old Vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RLM Stamps, Mar 13, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Good morning. I was hoping that someone could help to identify the makers and date these two old vases. They have been in my family for years. The two have always been displayed together even though they are not a pair. They are about 12" tall. They would always be on opposite ends of the buffet. Inside one of them was a card written by my grandmother stating that they were possible wedding gifts to my great grandmother. I would not no if they were old or new when gifted. I do see on the second image of the bottom, it looks as though the numbers may have been changed? My father would have been 100 years old last year.

1 - 2 vases.jpg 2 - Mark on handled vase.jpg 3 - Mark on stylized vase.jpg 4 - provenance note.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you know when your great grandmother was married? I would think that they would have been new when given as a gift.

They're very nice!

TraceyB, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

If my father would have been 100 last year I might guess two additional generations at 25 years each. Possibly 1870?

TraceyB, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Well, I am older than you and my older great grandmother was married in 1901. I think 1870 is too early.

TraceyB and judy like this.
  5. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

I think I may have done bad math. My father born in 1920, his parents married before that date. Add one generation, 25 years? Maybe 1890 - 1900 or so. :inpain:

TraceyB, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Yup. That's a more likely range.

TraceyB and judy like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They are copies of Worcester porcelain, the original of the one on the left is known as 'worcester claret jug' (odd name yep). However they are made in thick milk glass, not porcelain. The numbering has more of either a French or Austro/Bohemian look. I suspect they are late 19th century to 1910 as they copy Worcester pieces from the 1870's to 1900's.

I have one and it copies one of the Worcester Persian range vases. As yet I have been unable to determine the exact origin, or reference any very useful information about them.

8. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Thank you for the information.

TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted