Help to identify antique table b

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Feb 15, 2017.

1. annea

annea Member

Looking for more info on this antique side / stand table. Style for sure and age? I am thinking earlier 1800's, but am not sure. Burl wood on the front? Made of cherry? Very old looking with the narrow hand cut dovetails in the drawers and a couple of square headed nails on bottom. The legs look as if they may have a coat of paint or very thick varnish on them? I think someone had stripped at least part of the very top and sides at some time. Rope legs? Very solid and sturdy. The knobs appear to be new. Not sure what sort of knobs it would have had. table two drawer rope legs front send.jpg table rope legs close up side send.jpg Thank you for help on this.

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Lovely side table! I'm going to take a stab at style. I think this would be considered American Federal/Empire period (1820s) piece with convex drawer fronts. Yes, I would call the legs rope turned. Believe it has mahogany burl veneer on the front. Nowwww do wait for others to chime in - especially Brad.

--- Susan

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    komokwa likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the above.

komokwa likes this.
  4. annea

annea Member

Thank you for your help on this table. : ) Do the sides also look like mahogany wood then too? I was not sure if it was that our might be cherry? Do the cracks on a very old table like this affect the value a lot or not? The top is lighter looking yet as if someone had sanded or taken the finish at least partially off at some point. Wondering if I should carefully lightly sand it and the sides (not the front) and stain to get a better color match and then wax or ? over that. I am pretty good at getting a good color match but not sure if this is the best way to go or not.

5. annea

annea Member

I would like to replace the drawer pulls with appropriate antique ones. What type would this style of table have had on it?

6. verybrad

Those pulls could be original. Would like to see the entire pull detached from the piece. Sides do look like another wood. I wouldn't sand it at all. If you want to adjust the finish, you may find it will take stain without sanding. Otherwise, you can carefully remove any remaining finish with lacquer before staining. Be careful not to get any on the sides or you will ruin the finish there as well. The original finish on this would have been a French polish. I find that a tung oil varnish (or several coats of straight tung oil) and a coat of paste wax gives a good antique look without going through the process of a French polish. If you search the web, you may find other ways and/or products available to replicate the look of French polishing. I would not worry about the cracks for a piece this age unless they affect stability.

7. verybrad

Here is a period example of a similar pull. Note the wide flared base that could even be a separate piece. I can't see the profile of your pulls to see if they have it or not. Inside you should have a square nut on threaded rod holding the knob on.
    [​IMG]

Other appropriate pulls would be sandwich glass or a wide flared wood knob.

8. annea

annea Member

No wide flare at the bottom. They feel light and cheap with Philips heads on the screws. : (

9. verybrad

Must be new then. They don't look bad for now so you could take some time to find the right ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted