Help to ID Mid Century chairs - Borge Mogensen?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by lelliott19, May 21, 2016.

1. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

I picked these mid century Danish modern leather buckle strap chairs up at an estate sale. The leather is in poor condition as they were stored in a garage and look to have been there for quite some time. They are definitely NOT new. I looked online and thought they might be Borge Mogensen 3238 chairs? There are no markings on them.

As you can see the leather is very dry and discolored. There are five of them, but I have only worked on one so far. Just cleaned it and conditioned the leather with 100% pure Neetsfoot oil. Amazing how soft the leather got with just one application! Also does anyone know what kind of wood they are? Close up of wood below.
    Before and after sidexside 50.jpg Wood type 50.jpg
    Thanks for any information.

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

These look more 70s to me ,very cool ! They clean up splendidly , are they comfortable ? I think they are oak ,but Im no wood expert .

lelliott19 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Details are different from the Borge Mogensen chair so maybe a nice knock-off import. Wood looks like a tropical hardwood ..... so-called plantation mahogany.

lelliott19 likes this.
  4. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

They are actually very comfortable @johnnycb09 ! Thanks @verybrad have you ever seen any like them? Ive looked all over the internet to try and find them and havent seen anything at all that is an exact match. The buckle-on leather seats and backs are pretty distinctive. You'd think that as closely as the style matches the Borge Mogensen chairs, they'd show up somewhere?

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NIIIIIICE clean-up!!!!!:smug::smug::smug::smug:

lelliott19 likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

You might search under " campaign chairs " , though of course these are a derivative of that .

lelliott19 likes this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

#lelliott19

designaddict.com/Borge Mogensen Room

Coincentally, I was just going back to Design Addict to re-confirm what a great forum it has, and found this:

Some detail shots the chairs made by Fredericia Stolefabrik in the mid 1960s, although the design was first made by Erhard Rasmussen for the 1951 cabinetmaker's exhibition.

The chairs have a soap finish (a lovely finish for oak, too rarely seen), and the patina on the oxhide is spectacular.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 1.29.07 PM.png

lauragarnet and lelliott19 like this.
  8. scoutshouse

Design Addict

#lelliot19

I hope this isn't a duplicate post, I lost the first I wrote - I think??

I just happened to be looking around Design Addict today. You might want to search around, I noticed some other people posting about how they restored theirs :) It's a really great forum for Mid Century Modern...

I finished restoring pair of Børge Mogensen's model 3238, the 'Hunting Carver's Chair.' And so I finally have enough of Børge's pieces to assemble a complete room in his Danish Modern Rustic.

Some detail shots the chairs made by Fredericia Stolefabrik in the mid 1960s, although the design was first made by Erhard Rasmussen for the 1951 cabinetmaker's exhibition.

(Okay - I'm confused - remark by Scoutshouse)

The chairs have a soap finish (a lovely finish for oak, too rarely seen), and the patina on the oxhide is spectacular.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 1.29.07 PM.png

lauragarnet and lelliott19 like this.
  9. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

Thanks @scoutshouse I posted another inquiry on Designaddict with accompanying photos. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. scoutshouse

sure thing @lelliott19

I thought it was pretty funny that he had a Borge Mogensen "room!"

lelliott19 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Post an update here if you learn anything from the other site. We would like to know! I went to the DesignAddict site, which looks very interesting. But I didn't find your posts.

lelliott19 likes this.
  12. scoutshouse

Fig, I think his thread reads "Not Borge Mogensen... "

Figtree3 and lelliott19 like this.
  13. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

Indeed @scoutshouse is correct. The name of the thread at DeisgnAddict is NOT Borge Mogensen Chairs and it is in the "Identify" section.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted