Help -- Swedish Prints (old) subjects "Warrend" and "Herrestad Harad"

Discussion in 'Art' started by yourturntoloveit, Jul 2, 2014.

1. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I saw a couple of members here mentioning their "Viking" ties so perhaps someone can help with a translation of some of the words on the following two "prints" --

antiques swedish prints dr 013 (3).jpg

antiques swedish prints dr 022 (5).jpg

The first print (woman on horseback) is titled ""Warend" with the Roman numeral "I" below the title. At the bottom left of the picture is "Landberg delt" and at the bottom right is "Forfsell dimt" (my spelling may be off as they are in very small, fine print). In the top right corner is the number "30"

The second print (woman at door) is titled "Herrestad Harad" with the Roman numeral "IV" below the title. At the bottom left of the picture is "Forfsell delt & souljut" (again, my spelling may be off because of the small, fine print). There is nothing on the bottom right side. In the top right corner is the number "41"

Any and all thoughts/observations/information would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

3. yourturntoloveit

Thank you so much, Kentworld, for the links. :)

4. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

I can't make any sense of your transcription of the small print, but Forssell (the old way of indicating a double S) lead to this:
    http://www.hammarlundbooks.com/?contentpage=showproduct&kategoriid=10&id=2052

No doubt your hand colored engravings are part of this volume -- one source notes that the plates were issued one at a time, and then bound. Perhaps this will give you more to go on. And if you can magnify the too small to read print I might be able to help. Just like an F later was changed to a V, a W sometimes became a modern V.

5. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Forfsell delt & souljut

means 'drawn and engraved in more or less Latin, an almost universal usage on period prints. These words or small variations on them (del & Scvlptit, for example) always give you the name of the artist or at least the engraver.

7. yourturntoloveit

Birgittaw, thank you so much for the link to runeberg.org/ettarsverg/

Both prints (plates) are there as "plancher" 30 and "plancher" 41.

Afrantiques, the information on my two match exactly the information on the runeberg website. If you care to (which I sincerely hope you do) perhaps you can enlarge those and see if you can discern an artist or engraver on one or both. Trust me when I say that they'll be much clearer than any I can take of my two framed prints.

8. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Forssell is the engraver -- the f as noted is an s. The artist is Sandberg as noted in my first link.

Plancher means image and "harad" is province. Amazing how fancy these peasant costumes are -- used for special occasions and in weddings, for example. Treasured heirlooms for those who are fortunate to still have theirs.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. yourturntoloveit

(With apologies to Paul Harvey) And now for the rest of the story . . . .

Both were bought about twenty years ago at a local estate sale. I had them reframed and saved the backing off each of the two old frames because it had the following information: an old blue with ivory lettering "Woodward and Lothrop Art Pictures and Picture Frame Dept. Washington, D.C." label as well as the following cursive handwriting in blue ink:

"Southern Pines, N.C.
    From -- Consul to Sweden -- Mr. Ives
    Name -- Buffie (Elizabeth) Stevenson
    (She is Adlai Stevenson's sister)"

Here is the link to the Elizabeth Stevenson Ives obituary in the Chicago Tribune --

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/..._historic-preservation-campaigner-white-house

I had wondered about the "Southern Pines, NC" notation on the old backing -- but the obituary shows Elizabeth Stevenson Ives also living in Pinehurst (which is a mere hop, skip, and jump from Southern Pines).

The obituary in the Chicago Tribune also mentions Mr. Ives' foreign service (diplomatic) postings as including Copenhagen (not exactly a hop, skip, and jump to Sweden, but still in Scandinavia).

And now for an aside about "Buffy" Stevenson Ives --

Quoted from Ralph G. Martin's book The Woman He Loved, Simon & Schuster, 1973,, at Page 154:

"Divorcee Wallis Warfield Simpson was nevertheless accepted at court. . . .

"Another presentee that day was Adlai Stevenson's sister, Mrs. Ernest L. "Buffie" Ives."

10. yourturntoloveit

Birgittaw, thank you x 3 for the name of the engraver (Forssell) and your earlier noting of Sandberg as the artist.

Draft saved Draft deleted