Help please with Kang table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by AnaK, Dec 4, 2020.

1. AnaK

AnaK Member

good afternoon all. wanted to ask for help please with the antique chinese kang table. what is the wood? Nanmu+nanmu burl or huanhuali+nanmu burl? or hualimu+ burl?
    bought for personal use, do not know much about furniture and antique woods, this is what i was able to decipher from the web. any suggestions on wood and timing of this piece is greatly appreciated! thank you, a IMG_2548.jpg IMG_2549.jpg IMG_2550.jpg IMG_2551.jpg IMG_2552.jpg IMG_2553.jpg IMG_2554.jpg IMG_2555.jpg

stracci and komokwa like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a very hard call Ana, as many of us are not familiar with those woods and as you probably know, identification of huanhuali is in itself an inexact art, at least in my house!
    I have two kang tables, nicely carved (as is yours), but neither of mine have burled tops or a lower stretcher rail system although with the radical curvature of the legs the lower stretcher bars make a lot of sense.
    BTW, I don't think I've ever run across one with a burl insert. Does it seem original to you?

i need help likes this.
  3. AnaK

AnaK Member

Thank you ! Are you asking if the burl top is original? I am definitely not equiped to answer that question technically/expertise wise. The short sides with alongated holes along the peremter are burl as well and the same burl as the top. So would have to assume that it is an original top.

on the design - have been looking and yes, can’t find land table with such lower leg structure. Came across the throne seats with such leg design.

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well if the sides have that detail, you are probably right, it is original. This type of furniture has been made right through to today and of course modern ones use stained versions of more readily available woods imitating huanghuali etc., but judging by the somewhat unique model that you have, I would suggest possibly a Hong Kong manufacturer somewhere in the mid 20thc, although could be earlier of course.
    BTW I love quality Chinese furniture like this!

Incidentally, a picture of the undersides would be nice to see.

5. AnaK

AnaK Member

I will send more photos when I get home!

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE that burl top !

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted