Help please! Sheffield spoons in silver case.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Elsa Pieterse, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Elsa Pieterse

Elsa Pieterse Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really hope these photos load correctly . These are little spoons, with short "steels" and they are marked: Stainless chromium plate on Nickel silver Sheffield England.

Any information on these would be much appreciated. It is my father in laws and he received it from his father over 40 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
    Elsa
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Below are full image pics of the thumbnails at the bottom of your post, are these the pictures you wanted in your post?
    Short handles? (Assuming it is like the Dutch word 'steel'?)
    They look like caddy spoons, but probably aren't. I am sure the others can tell you more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, they do look like caddy spoons but why there should be such a number of them together (not the sort of thing each person at the table needs to have) I have no idea.

Not old, not silver, not even silver plated. They look newer than the style of decor on the box - to which they probably did not originally belong. Wood-lined metal is often for cigars. Whether that's the case here is beyond me.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. The box looks like a cocktail cigarette box - you'd put out different "flavors" for your guests. I must say I like the box! The spoons are for serving...something. No idea what, but I've seen some before. They'd work well for the US version of Kinder Eggs if they were a bit narrower.

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are caddy spoons (tea) - the blank area at the handle would usually have a plastic crest of the city glued on, depending where the souvenir caddy spoon would have been bought.
    These look like the spoons before they were finally finished with the crests.

7. Elsa Pieterse

Elsa Pieterse Active Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. And as you could figure out English is not my first language. I really appreciate the help. Regards. Elsa