Help needed with writing on back of photograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Mill Cove Treasures, May 10, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

It looks like Dipworth to me but I haven't found anything or anyone by that name. The date looks like 1904 or 1914. The other line something Gilt Line? What do you think? Thank you.

[​IMG]

This is the back of the photograph
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the back of the mat

[​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I see Dipworth too. I think that writing upper right refers to the matting and framing instructions. The "gilt line" is what's surrounding the opening in the mat.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Gilt line for the mat makes sense. Thank you.

judy likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have found that there was somebody named Hermann B. Dipworth living in Saginaw, Michigan in the early 20th century. He was a picture framer and patented a miter-clamp vise for use in framing pictures. This was filed in 1910:
    https://www.google.com/patents/US960159

He was probably the owner of a company called Dipworth Art Co. I found several mentions in Google Books about 1920. Here is one:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=g...IODAE#v=onepage&q="dipworth" location&f=false

I have no idea whether this is the right path for your research, but at least it's a possibility...

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Figtree! :happy: Google kept converting my searches to "Dilworth" even though I was using quotes. I did finally find a few people name Dipworth but nothing else.

Dipworth obviously isn't a common name. The dates would coincide with the photograph and frame so it seems like a strong possibility.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Mill Cove, I was getting Dilworth, too... but in this case I got the option of "search only for Dipworth" or some such thing. So I clicked on it. It's interesting how Google searches work differently for different people sometimes. Kind of bothersome, also.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted