Help needed with age and style of a bureau and desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

1. I think the bureau would be considered empire style, is that correct? How old do you think it is? What caused the finish to get so crackly?

2. The desk has a partial label that reads Wabash. I could not find a similar desk in my searches. The center slides open like a roll top desk but sideways. What style is this? Does this type of desk have a specific name? Age? Type of wood? [​IMG] I found several furniture companies in Wabash IN but I could not find a matching label to identify it.

Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Desk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mill Cove Treasures

I clicked to soon. Here are two more of the desk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The 1st one's a dresser...sometimes called a lowboy, and the 2nd is a writing desk ...with those hidden slots for mail , stamps, pens and other writing materials.

Both are sweet !!!

The desk looks like 1950's---60's....to me......& the dresser , a little older, maybe back to the 20's - 30's..?

The rough surface could be caused by the type of varnish used to coat the wood.

I am not a furniture expert....just offering an opinion !

4. komokwa

oooops....make that...Highboy !!

5. komokwa

& push the dresser back 20 years....

6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I would call the first one American Empire (victorian) with Hepplewhite style handles that may not be original to the chest. However, I am not the best furniture IDer.

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

My guess on the second is Hepplewhite style fall front "tambour secretary"desk circa 1910. Again disclaimer....above

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. komokwa

Dresser-New-Close-Leg.jpg

only thing I could find with similar front legs............
    I now turn it over to the experts........I'm bushed from searchion

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you both.

Komokwa, what little knowledge I have on furniture, came from these boards.

From searching Empire furniture, there seems to be two different periods of time that this style was popular. Early in the 1800s and late 1800s to early 1900s.

Trip, it's to late to get better photographs of the inside of the draws, no lights out there. I will do that tomorrow. That may help determine if the handles are original or replacement.

10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Key word is American Empire. Guessing 1880-1910. This piece not the fancy french empire stuff.

11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I am sure Brad and few others can give you more concise info.

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Mill Cove Treasures, I love the desk -- I don't care who, what, when, where, how it was conceived. It's wonderful to my eye for its beauty and my mind for its utility.
    :happy:

13. Mill Cove Treasures

I love it to. I'm trying to figure out how to find space to keep it. AF's cleaning spree has me inspired but it slow going.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Your dresser is American Empire. I had a similar one with a really damaged top and a couple of hunks out of the twists on the legs. I ended up selling the brasses and steaming off the maghogany veneer on the drawer fronts.
    I then painted the piece and sold it for 25 bucks, I picked it off the curb. The brasses brought a hundred and the veneer sold for 40.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think your chest may be a tad earlier than Empire. It exhibits features from the Federal period and the brasses may be original. It is a little heavier than some Federal period chests so might be considered transitional to the Empire. I am seeing more Federal than Empire for what it is worth. As a transitional piece, we are talking about 1820.

Your second piece is circa 1940 or a bit later and in the Hepplewhite style.

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Gregg and Brad. I will post the new pictures tomorrow.

Gregg, how did you steam off the veneer?

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That dresser looks mighty old. It may have been refinished at some point if I don't miss my guess. They often were, but no one messed with the back.

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

So glad Brad showed up. That dresser looked earlier to me as well, but I am no expert.

19. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Gee Brad, I thought just the same thing except just a weeeee bit more Empire.
    Either way right in that window.

I'd like to hear Flanagan's thoughts on it.

Nice piece considering the good condition though I think an old refinish.

20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Mill Cove,
    I use a an old steam iron. I start on a corner and lift it up with a flat blade and steam, the old glue lifts up, just remember to go slow and easy. If you go to fast you will snap off pieces.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted