Help Needed to ID this Lamp- Glass or Porcelain,Bronze Ormulu,Maker ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jun 17, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Here's an old (dusty-sorry) Table Lamp.The blue body is either porcelain or very thick glass.It has Bronze Ormolu decorations & fittings. It's total height is 33 1/2 inches.Haven't found any marks/stamps yet (have to get out the loop to check for patent dates). NO SHADE.Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    I do believe it's style is Lmp1.jpg Lmp2.jpg Lmp4.jpg Lmp5.jpg Lmp6.jpg Lmp7.jpg of the Victorian Aesthetic (Eastlake ?) Movement.

lovewrens likes this.
  2. bosko69

Will probably have to disassemble to look for marks more thoroughly -some stamps,etc,are diabolically tiny (sneaky chaps !).

komokwa likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice dragon fish...;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. bosko69

yea-love those Gargoyle Dragons-figured if I ever broke the pottery,I'd sill have 2 Killer Door Knockers !

5. komokwa

lemme know when the lamp.......mysteriously falls over !:shifty::shifty::jawdrop:

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The "door knockers" are very cool. To me, though, they are overwhelming the delicate design on the ceramic part. Also, one dragon seems to be attached higher than the other. Maybe intentionally done? I love both the dragons and the ceramic, though.

komokwa likes this.
  7. bosko69

Very interesting Fig tree-The painting is very delicate and the 'gargoyles' look like something from an old castle's (Dracula's ?) front door.
    Komo-I love bizarre old metalwork.When we were lucky enough to visit Italy I shot dozens of pics of Doorknockers in Florence & Venice.In the States those little art pieces would have been pried off and sold for crack aeons ago-let alone 'in situ' 4-500 yrs later ! Will post if i find any marks/stamps/signatures.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting lamp. Style is aesthetic period, which makes me think this could be an oil lamp that has been converted. The style dates to c. 1890 but electric lighting was not common for a decade or so later. The overall form does seem better suited to an electric lamp so maybe was just made in the aesthetic style or maybe considered just Japonesque. Either way, I think this pretty early for an electric table lamp and it is a shame the original sockets are missing. I think this was pretty high-style and expensive when new. No idea who made this.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. bosko69

Verybrad-Any clues i might look for to see if it was an oil lamp to electric early conversion ? Thanks for the help.

10. bosko69

Also Brad and everybody-Good search terms like Aesthetic,Japonesque,any other other search terms ie: Eastlake,etc ?

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I looked around a bit and included the search term orientalist besides the others mentioned. The only vase-form oil lamps I found were obvious convestions. Yours could also be a conversion, though a stand alone vase with those side mounts would be quite unusual. I also searched along those lines but came up blank.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. bosko69

it's a mystery-perhaps just 'cobbled together' in a small shop.

13. komokwa

it does kinda look like the lamp....even though it fits.....is it's own lamp...

14. bosko69

the picking and detective work is lots of the fun,course so would getting a check for 50 Mil for an original Pollock .

Draft saved Draft deleted