Help needed for care and maintenance of antique mahogany chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I am looking for expert advice from our antique furniture experts here.

I purchased a circa 1820 mahogany Empire/Federal style chair, with quite a bit of carving on it. I've been using Kramer's Antique Improver on it, sparingly, as that product was recommended by some local antique dealers. The chair, however, doesn't have the "gloss" (for lack of a better word) on it as I'd like, as shown in this example for sale on 1st Dibs:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/s...ca-1830-mahogany/id-f_21851082/#zoomModalOpen

This chair looks very "healthy" to me. I don't think it's just a topical wax on it. It looks as if the wood has been cleaned and conditioned. But, I defer to the experts here.

What products should I use to maintain a 200-year-old mahogany chair, i.e. keep the wood cleaned and conditioned. I have some oak and walnut pieces that look great, but I haven't found anything to make the mahogany chair stand out.

Thank you!

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Let's see a comparison photo of the wood on your chair.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't know about Kramer's but, if it is like Howard's, you probably need something with more varnish in it. I use a tung oil varnish on many antiques to good effect. You can also make your own with equal parts of tung oil, mineral spirits, and oil based varnish. Old wood will usually take finish differently in some areas due to absorption differences and finish wear. Multiple coats of finish will eventually even things out as the areas of absorption become fully saturated.

4. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks! I will look for Howard’s.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think if you read my answer carefully, you will see I said you need something with more varnish in it than the Howard's (and presumably the Kramer's, that I am not familiar with).

Draft saved Draft deleted