Help needed Dresser HUD SC

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SEAN DINEEN, Dec 27, 2021.

1. SEAN DINEEN

SEAN DINEEN Active Member

Hello again, I volunteer at our local charity thrift shop and came across this interesting highboy dresser (missing) mirror. This 5 drawer dresser is quite primitive and has a stamp on the back "From HUD SC". Any ideas of origin? Government furniture from depression?

Screenshots_2021-12-27-17-01-28~2.png Screenshots_2021-12-27-16-50-33.png Screenshots_2021-12-27-16-57-25.png Screenshots_2021-12-27-16-58-26.png

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Mass produced turn of the century .SC was a huge furniture manufacturing hub for many years. That price they are asking is ambitious.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sure is sans mirror and with missing hardware.

Debora

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Early 20th century, looks like Eastlake machines crafted it, oak, form is Tall chest.
    Wait for Ghopper & Brad

judy, komokwa, i need help and 2 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was a nice dresser in its day. Now however it's a restoration piece. If they can find someone to pay that price for it, more power to them.

johnnycb09, SEAN DINEEN and judy like this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees, it's in pretty rough shape, needs refinishing at the very least.
    Looking this morning, I don't think it says HUD SC, HUD didn't come into being until 1965 and second, there is no space between the D & S so could just be Hudson or something similar with the last letters MIA.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    johnnycb09, SEAN DINEEN and judy like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Typical American highboy chest. Circa 1910. Nothing special about it and agree the price is ambitious in this condition.

antidiem and SEAN DINEEN like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hudson's Department Stores maybe? Dayton/Hudson that is, not Hudson's Bay. They were a big outfit in the midwestern USA for quite a while.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted