help need to determine age and value of wooden rocking horse

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DanDaMan, Jan 29, 2018.

1. DanDaMan

DanDaMan New Member

Newbie here. Bought a wooden rocking horse last year - bought from a garage sale in Calgary Alberta Canada (not gonna say yet what I paid for it - but will later in the posts)

As per picture, it is solid wood, but not 1 piece as various pieces are glued together. It has real horse hair, real leather saddle, real metal riens. It has a tag on the bottom saying "Royal Furniture, Peshawar (Pakistan)".

I've searched all over the internet, craigslist (Canada and US wide) and ebay, and can't find a single thing on this. I'd really like to know the age of this, and a rough estimate on value.

Any ideas[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Dan.

Looks pretty recent, and the tag tells you from where it originated.

I didn't have any luck finding another for sale on the net, but perhaps someone else will.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome Dan. We had a rocking horse under discussion a little while back. I posted a link there that may be informative.

judy, scoutshouse and kristiaan like this.
  4. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

+1!

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  5. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pakistan implies after 1947.

judy likes this.
  7. DanDaMan

DanDaMan New Member

Thanks for that - that looks almost exact except mine has the real horse tail vs wood. Based on the link, the value new is about $1000CDN plus shipping. So based on the link, I assume mine is not really that old (less than 20 yrs) - though would you suggest this has more value being it was imported from Pakistan and rare in Canada and US? What would you suggest is a fair market value for it? Anyone want to guess what I paid for it at the garage sale?

Thanks

judy likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Whatever you paid, you thought it was worth it.

So whatever you price it at, hopefully someone else will feel the same way.

I am curious to know what you feel it's worth.

James Conrad and komokwa like this.
  9. DanDaMan

DanDaMan New Member

I paid $20CDN at the garage sale, knowing it had much more value than that. Before finding this link, I figured it was worth around $500CDN but possibly more if it was old. Based on now knowing more about it, I'd guess it is worth between $300 to $500

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Perhaps a grandparent will love it for their grandchild.

scoutshouse and James Conrad like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I found this camel(!) from same place as @Erstwhile posted. Not available, I guess, so no price...

Screenshot 2018-01-29 18.09.14.png

In the right home, he's a nice accent piece :) and you got a great deal!

The devil's in the details, though - The shaping is nice and the carving on the eye isn't scary, like some lesser quality carvings can be. But not entirely hand carved like @Erstwhile's example. I prefer the simpler saddle on yours.

(I was told by a doll model maker that it can be quite difficult to hold the line between sweet and demonic when modelling or carving faces)

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted