Help me to restore this beautiful music box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by fotis_k, Nov 16, 2020.

1. fotis_k

fotis_k Member

Hello! I added this masterpiece to my collection as I bought it very cheap. It has a lot of damages but I will give it a try. It is a carousel lipstick/cigarette music box and I think that it is dated at 1960s. As it comes to the metal parts I will take them to a jewellerist to polish them and gold plate them where it needs. I want your help to the marble? Glass? Parts. They have a light blue coat. At first I thought it was glass with a marble coat effect but finally I think it is white marble with a blue coat. There are some missing marble parts at the door and I will make new at a marble technician but I need your help at the coat. I have never seen a finish like this on a marble. Does anyone know what kind of coat it is?

Or any other information that you have about it, would be very helpful.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. fotis_k

fotis_k Member

Here are some similar and a same one as mine to see how it should be.

Attached Files:

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks more like alabaster with a tinted blue lacquer coating.

fotis_k and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here are some of yours posted full size for easier viewing for all!! I think the next to last image posted shows best what @verybrad was talking about! Looks like you have your work cut out for you!!! Good luck!!:)

7B9AAC2C-866B-4393-86A1-5D01D7CB7864.jpeg

389196ED-DF4C-482E-8EF3-BD5F0DC4A839.jpeg

0C0CC3F2-FB65-4567-A0E5-F2AEBDBAB715.jpeg

6FC19717-2637-4CE1-A4BA-017FC2C9CEF7.jpeg

F6B14A8F-DDC9-4D85-BDE6-37AB6085D84C.jpeg

fotis_k likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just my subjective opinion, but I see glass with trompe l'oeil painting. Evidently these were mass produced. Molded glass would be more efficient than grinding, polishing & tinting stone of any kind.

fotis_k likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted