Help me identify these furs

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by minimee, Jul 16, 2024.

1. minimee

minimee New Member

I inherited few furs and I have no clue what these are. Any hint would be much appreciated.

Ferragamo- redish, med length soft

Toledo- deep brown with reddish sheen, short and very soft

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hello, Minimee! You have this Ferragamo coat on Poshmark and you've identified it as fox. That's what it looks like to me too. Let's see what others think. By way, it's a 1980s chubby.

Debora

IMG_6190.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This other coat appears to be sheared beaver. But again, let's wait to see what others think. It's a 1970s maxi coat. And isn't the brand Marquise and the retailer Toledo Furs?

Debora

IMG_6192.jpg

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I always find it odd when people ask questions about items they've already listed for sale somewhere, with descriptor claims... :confused:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

My wife found a mink stole at the thrift a few days ago ($20-$25).Now my granny and 3 million of her closest chums would've killed for it in 1958-we honestly didn't know what the hell to do with it and left it hang-weird.
    PS-Hope we earned enough karma to score a set of Beatles autographs.

minimee likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have my grandma's mink coat here.

minimee likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Pearl-Most ladies pride and joy back in the day.

minimee and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have Moms mink....& dads rabbit coat....and there's a sheep floating around...or sheared lamb.........I forget.....:wacky:

9. minimee

minimee New Member

Thank you so much. Yes, I listed it few months ago, but really wasn't sure. Someone inquired about it and mentioned it looks like muskrat not fox so I really wanted to check on that especially that I've never heard of that fur type.
    I inherited quite few fur items and got bit overwhelmed by it all. I scanned the brown coat and 'lens' also said beaver but I was just curious as it feels very unusual and very soft and beavers look so tough to me :) Thank you again for help

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I didn't even know that Ferragamo offered furs. (Fendi, yes.) Would have been a licensing deal, not something designed and produced in house. As to beaver, its fur is typically "...sheared to a velvety, soft pile." to quote the internet.

Debora

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a lot of animals have a long tough outer coat of guard hairs.....with a soft shorthair inner coat....trapping air to keep them warm...

minimee, pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Beaver fur is astonishing. It’s designed to be totally waterproof and to trap warmth, hence the fineness and density.

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link @bluumz
    My parents gave me some sort of fur coat when I was in college even tho I told them I did not want it.
    I didn't know what kind of fur it was so I maybe can find out by usng your link.

bluumz likes this.
  15. minimee

minimee New Member

That's awesome, Thank you

bluumz likes this.
  16. minimee

minimee New Member

I agree. I am reconsidering keeping it :) The sheen of it and way it reflects light is just something different, other furs seem to me more of one dimensional in the color aspect. I also got fisher fur jacket and again, just can't believe the softness of it, it's like a down feathers. Everyone always raves about chinchillas and sable but in all fairness I feel so many furs are underrated and in a way exotic, at least to me :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted