Featured Help me date this Praxinoscope!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Grandmasattic, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

PXL_20221205_163954880 (1).jpg PXL_20221205_164041032.jpg PXL_20221205_163911581 (1).jpg PXL_20221205_165957441.jpg PXL_20221205_164050639.jpg I have this awesome device I found that I am trying to learn about. I believe this is a repro of the ones from the 1900s but it does appear to have some age. Any info y'all can share on it would be much appreciated. She stands 9 inches and is 9 across. The base is 4 inches across. I looked for something similar on ebay and on Google shopping and found nothing

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2022
    dude, Roaring20s, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

3. Grandmasattic

Born2it and dude like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

My google searches for antique items may look something like this:
    praxinoscope "auction" -ebay

Anything in quotations means that the search listing should, theoretically, have that word in the URL, the title, or on the resulting page. *most reputable auction houses have some idea about the items they sell, hence why I want that to be included in the results.

Anything with a hyphen before it excludes listings with that in the URL or listing title (and possibly page text...not sure). Again, theoretically. I don't want eBay listings typically because most people selling on eBay don't know what they're selling. You can exclude a lot of sites like this: -ebay -pinterest -etsy -amazon -chairish -1stdibs...and the list goes on. These sites usually get top billing in terms of SEO placement, and again, they usually either don't know what they have, or you get newer items that say "vintage" "antique" etc.

In this case, I did a Google Image search using the above criteria and I scrolled through and found a match

[edit]: Don't discount Google Lens, either. Pretty handy app

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's not what u search ....it's how you search !!!!!!

Yay @sabre123 .....;):happy:

6. Grandmasattic

Thank you for the response! I will step up my search game with this.

Born2it and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted