Help...is this an antique hammered copper ink well??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Armando0831, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm at this store right now and this looks pretty old. It appears to be a hammered copper ink well. It has wood on the top. The seller is asking $125. What do you think?

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is likely an inkwell and should have a glass insert if it is. The knob on top does not seem original to me. I think $125.00 is overpriced for an unmarked piece with a replaced knob. It does appear to be an arts and crafts period piece.

3. Armando0831

I don't know how the seller would feel if I asked if he could clean the bottom of this to see if there's any markings. I did scratch away some of this stuff and it appeared to be very old wax. I was going to take a pic of the top from the inside but forgot to.

It does not have a glass insert.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    With the replaced top, no insert and I think the hinge pin is not right either. 125 is way too high, at 20 bucks I might take a chance.
    greg

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure about the knob. Could very well be original too. Kinda piece ya gotta hold to know for sure.
    If it were marked that would be sweet.
    The hinge pin doesn't bother me.
    IMHO the execution isn't absolute top shelf but VERY VERY good none the less. Unfortunately without a siggy it could have been made by anyone from a very skilled student on up.
    Liners are out there.

No mark, a buck and a quarter woulda been top retail back in the day.
    I'm kinda with Greg but give it a little more push. maybe 50 lookin' to make a quick flip under a buck.

'Course now, seeing it in hand could sway this either way rather quickly.
    ...even better photos but nothin' like holdin' it.

It IS a GOOD lookin' piece that woulda been a no brainer around a hundred several years ago, but that market has become very thin.
    ____

Joe. An aside. Have you ever looked into "Low Brow" art, AKA Pop Surrealism?
    I'm not mocking, I'm dead serious.
    I LOVE Lowbrow. There are some VERY talented artists in the genre. Their work is still fairly accessible, and I THINK you just might find some styles that interest you.
    Some of it can be pretty weird, but there is a TON of REALLY great work out there.

(especially if you're a car guy, hot rods, lead sleds.)

Armando0831 likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks like that piece is in an "antique" store in which case that is a retail price and you probably could bargain it a bit lower. But, I agree with the others, good, but you can likely find better for same or less money.

7. Armando0831

The owner has stated that if a piece has been in the store for over a year, they can mark them down a little. I still think that he marks them up way to much.

8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

BTW my avatar art is "lowbrow"; "Happy World" by Yoko D'holbachie.

Armando0831 likes this.
  9. Armando0831

It rings a bell but never really looked into it. I'll have to give it a shot. It's like music, I like a little bit of everything.

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I don't collect or sell them, but I do appreciate nice-looking handmade metal objects. I don't think lid was replaced that's just the way it was made-reflects the limited skill of the maker. I just don't like this one-don't find it stylish and I think you would be hiking uphill trying to sell it even with a two-digit price.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if he's asking 125 why is there a 9 on the price tag ??

i'd leave it where it sits !!!!

12. Armando0831

I guess he couldn't remember his own price.

Draft saved Draft deleted