Help in identifying Chinese nest of tables please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by raisu, Mar 23, 2016.

1. raisu

raisu New Member

Could anyone on this forum possibly help in identifying the age and possibly an idea of value of this nest of tables? Or anything else you might now. They belonged to my late grandmother.

Attached Files:

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome to the Forums, Raisu. Plenty of furniture brainiacs here. I bet they will want more pics... undersides, joints... and approximate measurements. Good luck.

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They could be as early as the 20s or as late as the 50s and may not really be from China. These seem to be fairly elaborately decorated and in reasonably good condition. In my semi-rural Midwest location, they would probably sell in the $100.00 - 150.00 range at retail in very good condition. At auction or other wholesale venues, I would expect to see these 1/2-1/3 of those values. You might see higher values in big cities and coastal population centers.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Brad is such a brainiac he didn't need ANY more pictures!:joyful:

5. verybrad

Not so brainiac. Just realized that this set is probably missing one table. The smallest table would not have one open side as seen in the pic. Probably doesn't affect value too much unless being compared to other sets.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. raisu

raisu New Member

Thank you Brad for that info - very helpful. It hadn't occurred to me there might be one missing - she only ever had the 3. Thank you Gila, too.

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

That rug! Fabulous!

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brad,
    I think these might be early as in 1900 -1930s. The sides have more work than what you see today.

I would want to see more pictures of the tops. I see wear on the legs, which is normal and doesn't appear to be too extreme.

I think Brad's estimate is a little low. Asian items have been on the higher side. I think in the right auction with an Asian base, these might go for 2-3 times more.

9. raisu

raisu New Member

Thank you scoutshouse re. the rug!

10. raisu

raisu New Member

Hi Brad, I've looked again at the tables and I'm certain there was never a fourth table. My grandmother never had one. There are grooves to slide in the two smaller tables and no grooves under the smaller one.

11. raisu

raisu New Member

Thank you cluttered closet, I think they are earlier pieces too. I really know nothing about Chinese furniture but there intricacy in the decoration and quite a lot of age. I will post some more pictures shortly. Thank you for your help.

12. raisu

raisu New Member

Hi cluttered closet, and anyone here who can help,

I've taken 8 photos at different angles. The biggest table has the most wear on top and the middle table has rings and wear. The smallest is in the better condition because most of the time my grandma kept it tucked underneath. There is splitting in the mid part of the tops but I'm assuming that can be fairly easily restored.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

13. verybrad

They could be a bit older as they are more intricate than most. Values I gave are for my neck of the woods which does not value Chinese items and seems to be the lowest common denominator for values. We have a hard time selling anything for more than $100.00 :sour: They very well could do better elsewhere. I see they sometimes do better on ebay. I also see in the new pics that there are some condition issues and that will impact value. These almost always had a 4th table and the front table should be closed in rather than open. Since it would be the one most often used, it may have just sat on the floor. Here are some to look at ........

https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ved=0ahUKEwioqb77w9fLAhWHrYMKHV0hDFcQ_AUIBygC

jackolin likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you put in Asian nesting tables, you will find 3pc sets.
    These may be Japanese rather than Chinese.

I'm in CA, oriental items have done well here.
    As Brad,noted condition is everything. The lacquer top is badly damaged on the big table.

Are you just looking for info or are you going to try and sell?

15. raisu

raisu New Member

Hi cluttered closet,

Thank you for your reply.

That makes sense. They could be Japanese. It hadn't occurred to me. There is no slot for a 4th table to go in - no ridge under the third table like the other ones. Just from am aesthetic point of view, I don't think the set would balance with a fourth. So O do think it is the original 3 (but I'm happy to be disproved).

I'm very familiar with Japanese culture and of course there wouldn't be a 4th table if they're Japanese. I'll look closer at the paintings.

They were my grandmother's for many decades. I'm not sure if to sell or keep. I'm not really attached to them but they were one of the constant pieces I always remember she had. She didn't look after the tops!

I'm in the UK.

Draft saved Draft deleted