Help in identification Japanese eggshell porcelain tea service

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dmstbr, Mar 12, 2020.

1. dmstbr

dmstbr New Member

Can anyone please help with identification of the maker of this antique tea service? We suspect the date to be circa 1920 but could be wrong.
    I believe that the 3 characters on the right hand side mean Great Japan. If correct, this would date either from 1868-1912 or 1920-1940. The character on top I believes means roof/house and the 3 characters on the left side I have not been able to identify yet. It is possible that the second character on the left means wisteria. Quite a puzzle!

See pictures for details.

Greatly appreciate any ideas you may have about its origin.
    Thanks
    IMG_2274 (2).JPG IMG_2278 (2).JPG IMG_2278 (3).JPG

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Possibly Dai Nippon 'Choko sei' or 'Nagae sei' early 20th century. Also similar mark on Gotheborg "Seto/Nagoya or perhaps Yokohama product. Regarding date, it is generally accepted that marks that includes "Dai Nippon" in Japanese characters on the whole date to the Meiji (1868-1912) period".

Draft saved Draft deleted