Help ID'ing this piece of furniture.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lisa08, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Lisa08

Lisa08 New Member

Hi, I've had this piece of furniture for a couple of years. Looking for help in determining it's age and maybe if it had any special use. Any info you can share will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I think it's some kind of apothecary / drugstore type of cabinet.
    You'll get more input when others have a look, so hang tight.;)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Great piece of furniture ........I'd have my socks and briefs organized for 2 weeks at a time !!

Messilane and lauragarnet like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Generally, an apothecary cabinet has small, more square drawers. It is generally in the style of an old medical cabinet but I am not so sure. The configuration seems odd. I don't really see authenticity in this configuration, nor signs of age. Some dimensions and better/more pics might help. Overall dimensions and drawer depth (top to bottom) would be helpful. Pictures of a drawer bottom, hardware, and the back of the cabinet would be helpful.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

LOL, You counted the drawers!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Actually, when I first saw it I thought Lady's Lingerie chest. But then I saw the glass cabinet side and that didn't make sense.

Are the shelves adjustable? How are they put in?
    The brass around the keyhole looks new, but it could have been replaced.

The feet, the way the cabinet sits on the base and the color of the wood make me think old. 1890s-19teens. But the drawer and the brass make me think newer.

If old, and adjustable shelves put in, I would think for a library/office. Bookcase with drawers for papers like a file cabinet.

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Brad's suggestion of what the back looks like would be helpful.

8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Wellll, I've seen my share of side-by-sides, but one like this I haven't seen! The closest I can come to for it, is a dental instrument cabinet. Dental instruments are stored in cabinets containing a multiply of very shallow drawers. Way back before the beginning of time, I helped out in a dentist office for a couple of summers. Here are a variety of vintage to antique wooden dental cabinets. A few of them could be considered side-by-sides, but none identical to the OP's with a curio type side.
    http://www.brasslanternantiques.com/gallerydentals.htm

Here are dental instruments in a wooden drawer.
    https://thesavvyseeker.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/antique_dental_tools1.jpg

--- Susan

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Re the cabinet: regardless of original use, I'd have that baby lined with pacific cloth, and filled with flat and hollow silverware!

say_it_slowly and gregsglass like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

LOL of course you would and I probably would too:rolleyes:. Sheet music cabinets have multiple small drawers, we have one and ours has open sided drawers, but no shelves.

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Actually Cluttered, you took the words right out of my MOUTH!!!!! And why not larger items on the right side???? Ladies 'delicates' on the left, sweaters, blouses, whatever on the right????

13. verybrad

This is why I said that the configuration is odd. Also, the drawers look deeper than a typical instruments cabinet. Depending on overall size, could you even see inside that top drawer? This is why I am wondering if it is a more modern cabinet made to resemble a medical cabinet or made for a specific use. Would make a great collector's cabinet.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

671503_1_l.jpg It's similar to a Larkin desk. I have one. Never saw one with drawers instead of the desk side.

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a nicely oversized jewelry box. Earrings etc in the drawers on the left, and long dangly necklaces etc on the right. Now that makes sense...jewelry store cabinet. A lot of them would sell collectibles and the like, and could display them on the glass shelves. Backstock would sit in the drawers.

17. Lisa08

Lisa08 New Member

here is a pic of the bottom of the drawer upload_2016-2-1_21-35-11.jpeg

Attached Files:

18. Lisa08

Lisa08 New Member

Here is pic of bottom of shelf. They are not adjustable. upload_2016-2-1_21-49-21.jpeg

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Looks like stained pine.

20. verybrad

I am seeing both old and new lumber in that drawer bottom. Either this was made of recycled lumber or there were repairs made at some point. My feeling is the former but we really need more photos to be sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted